When did you feel comfortable leaving your dog unattended?

@amarekanne We have a very precocious 1 year old (today!) and just now are starting to let her have some freedom around the house while we are home. We still block off all the bedroom and our bonus room which is carpeted, but she can spend some time running around the living/kitchen/dining by herself now which is nice. When we leave for less than an hour, we will put her in her small play area. If we leave for 2-3 hours, we will crate her because that’s the only way she will settle.

We never thought we’d get to a place where she’d have ANY freedom bc she was a huge secret pooper/poop eater but she has mostly grown out of it.

@amarekanne We've been leaving our 7 month old Border Collie alone and relatively unattended for the last 3 or 4 months. I still live with my parents so there's usually someone home, but when I leave she usually just chills sleeping in the foyer. The worst she's done is jump up onto the table upstairs because we accidentally left a chair pulled out. Aside from that she's done basically nothing wrong. If she's been acting up before I leave I just put her in my room and she'll complain a bit and then settle down to sleep.

@amarekanne I started leaving my doodle alone, out of the crate, at 4/4.5months.

Mind you, she was always able to “free roam” while I’ve been home.

When left alone, Initially I blocked off ( blocked off with a chair and mop bucket) the hallway to the bedrooms/bathroom so she only had access to the kitchen/living room. She’s 1 now and has full access to the condo. So far she’s only ripped up a piece of paper while I’ve been gone.

When I come home she’s either sleeping in my bedroom, sleeping on the couch, or sleeping at the door. She’s never awake.

@amarekanne We recently started giving him more freedom at 7 months old. It slowly started at 6 months old where we left him in the living room (where his crate and a gate are) to while we are at home having 90% free reign of the house.

We are now starting to do two hours at a time leaving house and while he's gated in the living room. We've only had one accident, but that's because we tried to push it beyond 2 hours and should have done a potty break before we left the house. 1000% on us and not him.

It definitely depends on your pup from what we've learned. We've lucked out with a fairly timid, sweet, and 85% independent boy.

@amarekanne Obviously I’m not the usual pet owner….
I have a 1.5 yr old and a 8 week old and I’ve left them alone for a couple hours while I ran errands and stuff.
The house was still there and there have been piddles off the pads a couple times but nothing destroyed.
The baby is 3/4 New Guinea Singing dog and 1/4 supermutt.