Leaving 6 month old for 2 weeks to go abroad? Advice needed

@brokenwithout Here is my experience .

My dog is 3 years old . We left him for a week with a relative last year when we went away and all was well.

This year that relative was joining us along with many friends and family so we didn’t have anyone to leave him with. For 2 months prior to our vacay we left him at dog daycare 2-3 days a week for times varying between 1 one and 8 hours.

By the time we had our vacay he had been to the daycare many times and was fine. He didn’t love daycare but he tolerated it . They have webcams and I watched him every time he was there and the workers were awesome with him ie they have a couch in the room and one person sits on the couch and dogs are free to snuggle with the human .

So we left him feeling nervous but thinking he would be alright . Wrong. By day 2 when I was in the middle of the ocean on a cruise I got an email saying to come get my dog as he was trying to break out of the crate at night and injuring himself and damaging the crate. I was in a panic as I had no one to go pick him up and it was not possible for me to do so.

My dog went into this looking like an Olympian and came out looking like a dog out of Auschwitz . He had lost about 10 percent of his body weight inside of 8 days. If I saw him on the street I would have thought he was a stray for months.

All of the us could have been avoided had I properly crate trained him. I tried in the beginning but he kept breaking out and got a cut over his eyes from breaking out so I gave up.

Moral of the story I would recommend leaving him in a situation similar to what the dog is used to or make sure the pup is crate trained before boarding him overnight.

Back