Why I chose to use an e collar and my experience / results

jasdksdc

Just wanted to drop in and chat about my recent journey with an e-collar for my 18-month-old Cane Corso from a working line - she's very driven to chase and although she responds very well to positive reenfocement, she is also a dog who needs boundaries communicated to keep her well behaved.

So, here's the deal: My training's always been about positive vibes, treats, and praise, with a bit of prong collar action for loose leash walking. Her recall was decent, hitting the mark most times unless she spotted another dog wanting a play – then, forget it, she wouldn't give me a second glance.

I used to think e-collars were cruel and unnecessary due to everything I have seen online. So, whenever there were other dogs about, I'd keep her on a leash, not really trusting her not to ignore them. Despite trying everything – all sorts of treats, toys, and even spending thousands on trainers – nothing topped the thrill of playing with another dog for her.

One trainer even reckoned she might always need to be on a leash, given how driven she is. So, I sort of made peace with that, though I always wondered if something like a e collar might do the trick for my stubborn, smart and driven working line pup

Then this one day changed everything. We were walking down a busy street, same as usual, and these workmen dropped something loud right near us. This made her jump and stressed her out a bit. After shaking it off, her leash somehow came undone from her collars – still no idea howm, she was double leashed – and off she went, straight across the road towards another dog. I'm shouting her name, but she's not having any of it. She was milliseconds to being hit by a van. Scared me to death and still makes me sick replaying it in my mind.

That night, I ordered an e-collar, realising that even a 99% good recall isn't enough in a freak situation.

I did my homework, watched loads of YouTube videos on introducing the collar, and followed the standard recall stuff:
  1. First few days, just getting her happy with the collar on.
  2. Started with really low stims while calling her over so she understood what i wanted
  3. Upped the ante with distractions and distance, keeping her on a long lead near other dogs.
We did three short sessions a day.

And you know what? After just 5 days, we went for this long hike in the countryside, and she was brilliant. She'd bolt off, but the moment I called her, she'd spin around and come right back – didn't even need the stim. Even when she was touching distance with other dogs, she listened and came back.

Honestly, I'm so happy and so is she. She has never had that much freedom to just be a dog on a long hike.

That's it really - just wanted to share my expereiice because whenever i googled "e collar reddit" i read so much info about how evil they are and it stopped me buying one.

I notice people are downvoting - presumably from people who do belive e collars are evil - i'd welcome other comments and another POV - genuinley - that's what this sub is for right?

Communicating with your dog is a life long journey of learning and I'm happy to take in information from both sides of the aisle

@jasdksdc This sub is filled with people who will downvote this because they're absolutely opposed to anything remotely aversive.... Don't worry about it.

Positive reinforcement is great and always important but you also need to enforce boundaries and rules too and powerful, energetic, prey-driven working breeds like this require tools.

These people think you can train an unsocialized pitbull or cane corso the same way you would train a Chihuahua with a bad attitude.

@jasdksdc Yep…. They will down vote, but can not offer any solution and don’t comment, because they don’t have options for this, and they just hate your success because of their ideology.

They hide behind the downvotes, because they have nothing constructive to offer.

Pretty sad really….

Congrats tho.. great for you and your dog….

@jasdksdc Wow, your dog's line does both protection jobs and hunting, never heard of anything like it. How do they hunt? Like hounds in a pack? Or like gun dogs like pointers? I've never known anyone doing real hunting with a corso.

Tbh, I've mostly seen pet corsos, with occasional "guarding" (aka loud scary barking behind a fence) or doing low level sports, that's why I'm so surprised to hear about a working line with two specialties at the same time.

@thoushaltnorkill Sorry I thought you asked about the breed not my specific dog!

The mother of mine is protection. I got her from a well known protection company in the UK - though I didn't buy her for Protection work. It was just that I fell in love with the breed and wanted to be sure I got on with a suitable temperament and a reputable breeder due to their size and strength

In regards to how they hunt - there are lots of videos on YT of them running down wild boars. They are used in a similar way to dogo argentinos.

@jasdksdc I relate to this SO HARD. I have a GSD. Didn't want to use e-collars, wanted to be "nice" and only use R+. Then my dog pulled loose and took off FOR THE STREET and I realized I'd rather have him on an e-collar than dead. Now he can be off-leash (even though 99% of the time he's always leashed) and my stress level while walking him has gone down 99.5% because I know if he gets away from me, I can get him back. Well-worth it, imo.

@jasdksdc This sounds just like my journey. I personally wanted more for my dog than a life on leash, it's been a game changer. No regrets.

For the haters: we train everything positive reinforcement except when she decides she doesn't want to come back (can't control everything in the outside world).

@jasdksdc I think this is a very valid experience and a great result from combining R+ training with a corrective tool. And it is incredibly common to have a driven dog who doesn’t give a shit about treats when the highest value reward (dogs, prey, other people, etc) is in place! Most people who use e collars incorrectly also don’t do any training with them and expect magic—you put in the work to make it a good experience for your dog.

Which brand did you like? I hear good things about the Educator.

@jasdksdc I feel you. Ecollar is an amazing training tool and it improves my dogs’ quality of life bc of the places and situations I can put them in, only bc they have the ecollar on. That is the definitIon of a humane training tool bc it makes their lives better not worse. They’re still excited every time I go and grab them even the session after a correction.

@jasdksdc I followed the blog of a family who used e-collars as a small portion of their overall training, and the collar really helped to reinforce a concept that was very important to understand. They worked with hunting dogs, and distance control is critical, especially when a dog gets to following their instincts. The important thing is that it is a small portion of the training, as you have described. The goal is to render the e-collar obsolete. You're doing well.

@jasdksdc Similar story with my dog (minus the heart-stopping near miss). He’s been enjoying off leash freedom now for almost two years and rarely ever needs a correction for recall.

@jasdksdc My brother used his to train his similarly driven dog. He used the stim -once- and he’s now been using it for a year with just the tone. His experience definitely made me see them in a different light! I also think that, like the prong collar, they work great with -some- dogs and not with others. They’re just one tool. Glad that you’re having good luck with it!

@jasdksdc That's AWESOME! I glad you choose to try it instead of listening to all the other people online saying how evil they are. A regular leash and a flat Buckle collar can be 'evil' too if it's used inappropriately. It's all about HOW it's being used.

@jasdksdc That's awesome! They are such amazing tools, it's a shame some folks only focus on how they can be misused.

A well trained dog is a happy dog. I bet your pup loves their new freedom. Keep it up!

Back