Where are my shelter puppies at?

@amn Great post! Nearly 20 years ago my first guy Phantom was an accidental litter rescue. Crazy high strung dalmatian mix. Marius came from Craigslist, a five pound runt that turned into a 101lb gentle giant. Pretty sure he was Lab, Boxer, German Shepherd and Moose! Spock my 11lb chihuahua was from the shelter and was going back if I didn't take him. My exhusband bought Gator the Rat Terrier from a breeder expressly for me and the little dude fell in love with him. Ha! I bought Moose in a grocery store parking lot nearly a year after Spock passed of old age and heart disease. Weeks ago a tiny starving flea infested puppy was found freezing under a dumpster and caught on my birthday. Stig is sleeping happily warm next to Moose and they adore each other. Gator is ten now, diabetic and glad no one is bugging him. Full house and heart!

Edit- Stig's found dog report at the Humane Society expires soon. I drove around where he was found looking for signs, checked Reddit and FB. A pic of him is on my profile.

@amn My 9-and-a-half-month-old puppy is a rescue. Her mom was left with another beagle at an ABC store untethered in Arkansas. The other beagle was sadly hit by a car but my friend was able to get to her mom in time. She had a litter of 8 puppies and I took the firstborn. Her mom was 100% beagle so I knew that about her but her dad was a complete mystery. I was too curious to know the rest of the story so I did an Embark DNA test and found out she was 50% Beagle and 50% West Siberian Laika (The hunting version of a Huskey). Here's her embark with some pictures: http://embk.me/rosie5392?utm_campaign=cns_ref_dog_pub_profile&utm_medium=other&utm_source=embark At this point, I am convinced it was a hunter that wasn't paying attention to his male West Siberian Laika and his female Beagle(s), and well...the rest is history. Rosie's mama was infested with worms and coccidia so it took 4 deworming rounds to get her healthy but now she's living the good life with me!

It's been a learning curve with regard to her Laika side because they are not bred to be companion animals. They are extremely high energy but loyal to a fault. This means she must have hours of activity a day to even begin to feel tired (we do this in shifts throughout the day to keep her joints healthy) and we also have a bit of separation anxiety going on which we are also working on. Otherwise, though she is a dream and I love her to pieces!

@amn Our 2 year old girl Kiri was a rescue much like yours: from the south (Oklahoma) and rescued to the northeast. However, she was being sold in a box full of her littermates in front of a hardware store, and the foster family took the whole lot. They work with a local rescuer here on Long Island and that’s how we found out about her. We didn’t want a puppy initially. She was the first pup we saw and immediately fell in love. We adopted her at around 10 weeks old.

Adoption fee was around $200.
Breed was stated black lab mix of some sort. DNA testing shows she’s 1/2 golden and 1/2 heeler. The golden part is way mixed back in the lineage too.

She’s a good girl!

@amn My wife and I obtained our pups from the shelter when they were 8 1/2 weeks old (they are now 4). We had just put down our previous dog a week prior and hadn't intended to look for a new pup so soon but our house just felt too empty. He was a shelter pup so we decided to try adopting again and to go over the weekend to the local area's shelter and see what dogs where there. We had done no esearch into what dogs might be there but our intention was to look for a dog that was about 2 years old or so. We didn't know ahead of time they would have puppies and we were not intentionally looking for puppies.

We showed up early in the morning and walked thru the kennels and looked at the various pups there but many were sadly not good with kids or other dogs and at the time we were still intending to start a family and maybe adopt a second dog at a later date. Towards the end of walking through the kennel is when we saw they had 3 puppies that went up for adoption that day. All three were from the same litter and were apparently puppies to a dog in foster. Two of the puppies were in one kennel and one in another. The two in the same kennel were cuddling on the bed looking really cute together while the third was yapping its little head off and trying to scale the kennel door. Not initially intending to get a dog that day (let alone puppies) my wife and I walked out the front door and then we just stopped.

Outside we just kind of paused and started talking about the puppies, if we wanted to see them, whether we even wanted to raise puppies since we had never done so before, etc. They were so cute and figured, why not, they will probably get adopted before we can see them anyway so we turned around and went back inside.

The shelter has you greet the dogs before you adopt so we added our name to the already growing list to see them. I think there were already three or so groups ahead that wanted to see them and by the time we did get to see the them there was probably another three our four groups behind us. The third pup that was in the single kennel had been adopted by the time we were called so we got to play with the two that shared a kennel.

It was really fun to interact with both at the same time and their different personalities became immediately apparent. One pup would bring us toys and play with us. The other pup instead would hide behind the shelter volunteer in the corner until his brother brought him a toy and they began to play together. They were both little black and tan 11 pound fuzzball velociraptors. After that we were sold and made the decision to adopt both.

Adoption was pretty easy, it was only $100 per pup to adopt. The shelter hand named them jack and strike and we chose the names kuzy and nisky after our favorite washington capitals players. The shelter paperwork said they were some sort of GSD mix but they didn't really know what else guessing maybe husky or lab or something. The shelter had already nuttered them which we found sorta odd it was done so early but oh well at least we wouldn't have to pay for it our selves. When we came out into the lobby it was full of people that were also signed up to greet the puppies so we had to break the news they were being adopted and the lobby then pretty much emptied its self.

The drive home was hilarious as we had no idea how to handle puppies. The shelter gave us a simple rope leash that quickly was chewed on. Initially we had put them in the back seat and Kuzy and Nisky promptly found a way to get under the diver and passengers seats. My wife hand to get into the back seat with them to try and coral them for the remainder of the drive. When we got home they scurried into the house and promptly ran and hid under the couch. Having not prepared for adopting puppies I immediately had to run to the store to buy everything we would need. It would be a hilarious few weeks as we slowly figured out how to raise puppies. They are now 4 year old 60 - 80 pound goofballs.

Funny enough, several weeks after adopting during one of their puppy training we would run into someone that knew the family that fostered the mother. They had apparently had the pick of the litter before the rest went to the shelter so we got to see their sister. They had said our dogs were part of a litter of 5 and were GSD husky mixes. Initially they all looked the same. Their sister and Kuzy look exactly like how you would expect a husky GSD mix to look. Black and tan markings, slimmer build, fluffy coat, curly bushy tail, pointy erect ears, a vivid brown almost golden colored eyes, and a head shape what you would expect of a GSD husky mix. Nisky though, looks like maybe moma or papa had some pitty or even lab in the make up, slicker less bushy coat, floppy bat like ears, wider chest, less curly tail but not bushy, and a big fat head. Oddly Nisky has some dichromatism in his eyes so there is definitively some husky in their, with one eye the brown/gold and the other sorta marbled half brown and half icy blue kind of looking like a galaxy.

@amn We adopted Fearne from a rescue at 5 months, but until the day we got her we thought she was 3 months… cut to us in PetSmart at 9pm with a brand new family member because all the things we had picked up ahead of time were too small!

The rescue we got her from said that her litter had been found stray, she’s likely a german shepherd/lab mix, & that’s pretty much all they knew. They had had her since 8 weeks, and honestly, I feel like we saved her from the rescue as much as they saved her from the streets. Vet visit #1 revealed she was incredibly behind on vaccinations, underweight, and had hookworm.
Now, she’s muuuch heavier & well fed, sleeps in bed with us, and has started to develop preferences for different treats rather than just inhaling anything we give her. She’s also an incredible communicator! She knows “show me,” and will gingerly pull on our sleeves to bring us to where she wants us, which is usually to the couch for belly rubs.

and some puppy tax, of course

pic 1 is the photo we saw online that made us fall in love, pic 2 is the day after we brought her home, and pics 3&4 are her now- at 7 months old.

**also want to clarify that my feelings about the specific rescue we got Fearne from do not at all match my feelings for rescues as a whole. There’s a lot that do a lot of good work, this particular one just missed some things they should not have.

@amn We lost our beloved baby man last year and decided we wanted a puppy to help decrease the comparisons we would make to our perfect old man. The shelter near us needed people to foster puppies, so we signed up. This beautiful mama gave birth to 9 little houndy puppies, and after the babies were 5 weeks old, they said they needed to start fostering them out. I ThiNk this was mainly because the person who had been fostering all 9 babies + mom could no longer keep them, but they also said mom was no longer feeding/interested in the babies (🤷🏼). They were splitting the puppies into pairs and a group of 3, and we got these two little goofballs the day before they turned 5 weeks (too early- trust me, I know). We fostered both until they were 9 weeks old and then our friends adopted the one we didn’t keep (the black one stayed with us, the little brown lady went to our friends).

Despite the fact that we decided to keep the one that seemed more chill, Marty was the spawn of satan for the next few months (in his defense, he was the first puppy puppy we’d ever had, so a lot of it was probably user error).

He’s still ridiculous but at 13mo he’s learned to be a bit more independent and polite. As long as he gets his morning dog park run, he’s pretty set for the day.

And never you worry, the babies had a reunion about a month after they turned 1yo 🥰

@amn Adoption fee was $500 for my pup in San Diego. He was 10 weeks old. The shelter didn’t have any info on the parents, just that he came from another shelter in yucca valley that didn’t have room. They said he was a shepherd mix. I did Embark and he’s pit bull, GSD, toy poodle and basset hound! Everyone asks if he’s a beagle mix. Adoption took a few hours and they called references.
*edit because I have to share some puppy pics

@amn Yay! 8.4% boxer! We have a boxer that we got from a breeder. But my grandparents actually got a not so young puppy from a guy who had to pick between his girl or his dog. We got Rocky in 2014, he was almost 2 but everyone said he was still a puppy! Me and my siblings were very excited we had never really had pets before (besides some gold fish). We got our own boxer puppy in January of 2021, she just turned 2 this past December! I only wished we had known like 10% of what we knew about dogs when we got Rocky. Rocky was not properly socialized or very trained for that matter, our grandparents are very old school training. But Rocky is now 10 and a good ball, him and our puppy don’t get along but we can’t do much about that.

Once we get a fence maybe in the next year we are thinking of getting another dog, a brother, for our dog, hopefully from a rescue! Sorry for the book!

@amn I adopted my lab mix from Texas. She is four months old now. Driving me crazy. I’m also raising her on my own. I signed her for puppy classes because I think there’s only so much I can teach. First time dog owner