Where are my shelter puppies at?

@marbewpi You are going to be best friends, I can tell he just has such a solid personality from the photos!

My best advice: take LOTS of videos during the puppy phase. Especially any quirky or goofy stuff he does.

They grow up and become Serious Adult Dogs insanely fast. I watch my guy's puppy videos all the time, I took a billion but wish I had taken more :)

@xsmbthu3hoa I knoooooow! WHY do they grow so fast! I am actually clearing out my phones photos in preparation for this because youre right, no matter how many I take I will always want more!!!! I am going to 3D scan him at every growth I think (if I can make him sit still) which should be a pretty unique piece to create! I am pretty techy so Gordo is going to go through the wringer with me! haha

@amn Both our dogs are rescues from Labrador (where Labrador retrieves get there name) they have a very specific type of husky up there called Labrador Huskies (again, named after the province, not the dog) and they fly them into our city to get adopted.

Our newest dog is 5 months and she was $250. We couldn't meet her before, we picked her from a low res photo so we're lucky that she was a great dog for us. When we picked her up we knew nothing about her or if she had any training from her foster family. She was taken from her mother really young but has adjusted well and our senior dog has helped her with learning boundaries and how to "dog".

Purebred dogs aren't very popular where I live so most people have rescues so when we were looking for a puppy we knew it would be a rescue pup.

@amn I also have a Maggie, and she also came to the Northeast from the Southern US. I lost my 11 year old Boxer in June and I missed him so much. Looking at pictures of puppies lifted my spirits when I was feeling down. I saw her pictures on Petfinder and that was it, I went and got her. Thought she was a Boxer Lab mix, she’s a Pit/German Shorthair Pointer mix. $600 and she was spayed, all vaccines, mange treatment etc. I’ve always wanted to rescue a dog after years of purebred Boxers.

@amn My oldest is a rescue. They told me she was 2, but it was clear pretty quickly that she was much younger.

Vet guessed she was probably about 18 months.

I got her at the SPCA. Walked her for a few minutes and took her home. I found out later that she had been brought over from the Southern U.S. I had sent them a 1 year update, which they posted to their social media. The woman who transported happened to recognize her and I messaged her to ask if they had any background information on her.

She said her previous owner was an older woman who had run into some medical issues and was able to rehome one of her dogs but not mine, so she surrendered her.

I don’t know how much I believe that. It was clear she’d been in a home before - she ran up my stairs and waited for permission before getting on furniture. She had extreme separation anxiety, reactivity, and nipped when over stimulated. She was also extremely thin.

I think being in a rescue really affected her. She’s very anxious and has had some health issues.

But we worked hard together and 4 years later she’s improved immensely. She’s a wonderful girl

I think her adoption was $400. No idea what breed she is, very likely a multigenerational mutt.

@amn Awww your pup is so adorable! I bought my Doberman from a breeder as a puppy. My partner had a Doberman when we got together and it’s the first breed that I have truly fallen in love with. Now that I am an experienced owner of the breed, my next dobie will absolutely be an adult rescue. I go on the breed specific rescue pages a lot and just look at all the sweet dogs that need a home. It breaks my heart.

My dog was my first dog that I got on my own as an adult. Knowing that the breed can be a handful, I wanted to make sure I was getting one with a sound temperament as my first. I am glad that I now have the experience with what is deemed a demanding and high energy working breed to be able to adopt one who needs a home in the future.

@theworstsinner14 Another way to help the Doberman breed, if you decide you want a puppy again, is to be a placement home for breeders participating in the Doberman Preservation Project. They need homes for their mixed-breed Doberman crosses during the out-and-back-cross process. Many of the dogs are 75% or even 87.5%+ Doberman. A lot of the purebred Doberman people won't touch the project because they're mixed, and a lot of people open to mixed breed dogs won't get a puppy from a breeder, leaving their niche quite small.

However, if you choose to do this, vet your breeder carefully. Not all participating breeders are equal in quality and ethics.

@christopherb That is a wonderful point. I have heard of the project and donating your dogs genetics, but I didn’t know exactly what they were doing regarding outcross breeding. That is absolutely something I’d like to support in the future. DCM terrifies me with my 2 boys. I have such a love for this breed and it looks like the project is doing some great things. Plus a little cane corso mixed in with dobie seems pretty awesome.

@theworstsinner14 It terrifies me too. My boy is half Doberman and he's an amazing dog, but the fear of DCM forever looms large. He has one copy of the DCM2 gene. He's currently only 3 so I'm hopeful that even if he does have DCM, we may have 4+ years left with him, and if he doesn't have it, we may have 8+.

@christopherb I hope your boy is safe from it. Being a mix is hopefully good for him, but I feel like you never know with this awful disease. Our older one is 5 and looking great health wise. He’s petite, only 62 pounds and I think that favors his health. The younger is 1.5 and he’s a big boy. No copies in his DNA testing as that was a big thing when I was searching for a breeder. But they can still develop it later in life even without a copy. I am hyper aware of their diet and added taurine/heart supplements since that’s the only thing I can control. It’s great that there has been such an effort in DCM research since it seems to be such an unknown. Thanks for the info about the project puppies. I’ll definitely look into that when I’m looking to bring home another dog.

@theworstsinner14 Similar experience but a little further along. We got our first Doberman from a backyard breeder, I think she was 300 and lived to the ripe old age of 12. When she passed two years ago, my husband and I agreed we needed a break. A little over a year after her death, neighbor shared a photo of a Doberman mix puppy available for adoption. He had 4 brothers and sisters and was the most dobie looking of all. He came from a neonatal puppy rescue where all the dogs are bottle fed and human raised. The adoption process was intense (application, referral from the foster, interview, home visit). Fee was around 350 and included all his vax and neutering. He’s 9 months now and such a good boy. He is cuddly and sweet but independent as well and not neurotic like my gal was. I have found the second time with a puppy much easier than the first (and maybe I’m just older now and more patient). We assumed dobie pit mix because that’s what most mixes are, but given his looks, prey drive, and howling, we are thinking maybe hound mix. Looking forward to the dna to find out.

@amn Not my story my uncle's: several years ago he came across this dog who randomly was at his door. He thought nothing of it left it be thinking the owner would come looking for him. He started to occasionally feed him. He had suspicions he may be abused or at some point was abused. Well after about a month of seeing him randomly he heard noises when he got home and we to the alley to see what the commotion was. There was a dude twice as big as he was. He pulled the guy to the ground cause the dude was kicking the dog across the way. He cursed at my uncle for stopping him saying he can do what he wants with his own pet my uncle threatened his life as he grabbed the pup. He was a mean dog who was a softie at times. My uncle kept him til the pup (Spike) passed away at 15. My uncle also helped the dudes wife who was also being abused by taking her to a shelter and helped start the process for those who were abused by their spouses. My uncle also saved a couple other dogs and cats who were severely abused though he didn't keep them. Only Spike cause my uncle felt that Spike was trying to tell him something for always being on his porch

@amn I’ve got a story!

One day, I was walking around on my lunch break with my coworker, and I came across a 5 month old puppy. She jumped on me and immediately went to lick my face. I gave her pets and a hug, and the lady walking her said “She’s up for adoption in a couple weeks if you want her!” I said “No thanks, I don’t think my husband would agree to a dog right now.”

I couldn’t stop thinking about the puppy, and I told my husband “I met this puppy I really love, but I know we aren’t in the perfect position to have a puppy right now.” And to my surprise he told me to try to find her again and that we would make it work. For 4 years before this we talked about how we wanted a dog, but it was just never the right time, big life events happened, etc. But this pup was too special to pass up.

After that, I still couldn’t stop thinking about her. I’m no stranger to dogs. I’ve had my own, and also was a pet sitter for a long time, so I know what connection with a dog feels like. And I felt so connected to this dog. She reminded me of my family dog that passed a few years ago from old age, who was also a shelter dog. Every dog I’ve ever had has been a shelter dog, and they’ve all been amazing. I’ve been very blessed to have amazing doggos my whole life.

Every day for 2 weeks I checked the shelter websites seeing if she was put up for adoption. I would look, not see her, and tear up about the thought of never finding her. Every day I walked around near my work in hopes of running in to her and her foster mom again. I felt silly for how upset I was about a dog I barely knew.

Finally, one day, I came across her listing on the county shelter website. I couldn’t believe it. I called immediately and had an appointment to go see her the next day. I went and met her and she jumped into my lap, and then we played, and I loved her so much already. The shelter volunteer that brought her out to me talked about what a special dog she is, and how soulful her eyes were.

The next day, after I filled out all the paperwork and got all my supplies, I brought her home. I put her in the car with me and hugged her and promised her I would be a good mom and that we would go on all sorts of adventures. She licked my face and laid her head on my shoulder (she’s good at reciprocating hugs, and we still hug often).

She’s been difficult, not going to lie, but I love her so very much. I trust my intuition and know we were meant to be a family. Sorry if that’s a little woo woo, I’m a little bit of a woo woo person. But trusting my gut feeling paid off! I have a loveable, sweet, hilarious, rambunctious pup, and I feel very lucky.

Funny side note - the shelter had her listed as a border collie, and my old dog that she reminded me of was a border collie, so I trusted that assessment. She got a little older and she got a big ole blockhead and round floppy ears, and I was like “hmmm.. she sure doesn’t look like a border collie anymore”. So I did a DNA test and she’s only 2% border collie lol She’s 40% pitbull and 60% random other dog breeds. But I love pitties so I’m happy about it :)

In short - shelter dogs are amazing.

@amn Mine is a rescue mutt. He and his litter and his daddy came up from a kill shelter in Tennessee to the no-kill shelter I got him from in central Illinois. We don't know what happened to his momma, that information wasn't in his paperwork. Mine was the last of the litter to be adopted and a few months later his daddy got adopted too.

I adopted him in May of 2021 when he was a bit over two months old. I named him Rascal. I did the Embark DNA test on him and he's: 49% American Pit Bull Terrier, 16% Australian Cattle Dog, 14% American Eskimo Dog, 9% Siberian Husky, 3% German Shepard Dog, and the rest being undifferentiated SuperMutt.

At about ten months old, my little Rascal is nearly 45 pounds. He's a bit vocal with quite a repertoire of groans, whines, growls, yelps, and barks. He is everyone's friend, enthusiastically greeting most people and dogs he encounters. I've worked hard to socialize him and expose him positive experiences so he won't be fearful or neurotic. He's great in the car and even rides in my big truck, tractors, and other equipment. I take him with me as much as I can but he does fine on his own without serious anxiety or any destructiveness.

We did a puppy class over the summer and have just started a young dog class. I'm a novice dog owner and I don't expect to train Rascal to be in competition, I just want him to be a well behaved companion. And he does pretty well with learning things, especially when lured with food.

@amn My pup is a shelter dog! I got her from a shelter an hour away from me, literally saw one whole picture of her and had an instant gut feeling of “thats my dog”. Contacted the shelter and brought her home within 24 hours with absolutely no idea what i was getting. Fast forward and shes been the best girl, the best behaved puppy that i or my boyfriend have ever met, and shes my baby 100%. Shes curled up asleep on my lap as i type this.

She was pretty skinny when we got her. She absolutely reeked of pee and needed a bath within a day because i just couldn’t handle the pee smell.
We think she was separated from her mom a little young, she didn’t have any littermates at the shelter that we know of, and she has some odd behaviors when it comes to self soothing. But realistically we have no idea what her first 13 weeks of life looked like. But now that shes bigger shes very confident and independent, shes super smart, and she’s amazing at communicating with me.

We were told shes a lab mix, but everyone we meet thinks shes a pit bull. She looks like one. Shes small, she probably wont ever get to be more than 30-35 pounds. We plan on getting her a genetics test once we can afford to spring for it. I dont really care what she is, but id like to know what issues to look out for when she gets older.

Whenever we’re ready to get another dog, we’ll probably get another shelter pup. Id like to get a corgi one day, so maybe we’ll go to a breeder eventually, but i like shelter pups. All my dogs growing up have been shelter pups or rescues and theyve all been wonderful pets.