When y’all said Heelers were smart, I wasn’t expecting this at 8 weeks!

missymckibben

So this is a whole ass brag post, just for full disclosure!

My baby is 8 weeks old y’all and I’ve got her doing come, sit, down, jump, and spin!! We’re working on leave it but I understand how difficult that is when you’re new to your surroundings. And on top of that she’s stopped crying in her kennel except for when she has to go to the bathroom and she sits by the door (or goes by her potty pads) to go outside to use the bathroom. She knows her name and listens to me when I call her even when there are mild distractions. She does well with enforced naps too, she’ll give a whine at first and then just sleeps. And when I yelp, she eases off with the biting too, so she’s been much more gentle when we play now! But we are working on not putting inappropriate things in her mouth lol (everything from my yoga mat to my underwear)

And I’m also not gonna lie, my first week with her was overwhelming and stressful especially because I was worried about my dog feeling insecure about her place in the pack and how much she was avoiding even being in the same room as the puppy. But after getting a sitter (my neighbor, she’s been one of the people I feel comfortable being around for social distancing since we’re close) for her who helps with learning while they’re together and the amazing emotional support I’ve had.

And just wow you guys. And I cannot emphasize how much reading your posts and experiences has helped me feel successful at starting to raise my first puppy alone while also having an adult dog who’s juuuust as needy as she is lmao!

So thank you for listening to my weird bragging about the new addition to my household! I’m just so excited to have two well trained babies in my house!!

@nayt70 Oh my gosh, please share any tips if you have the capacity! I'm so excited to get to that level and hopefully once she's a little more fully formed, start agility with her.

@missymckibben Sounds like you are doing great. @ a young age, we used treats to teach her new commands. Always pairing a unique hand gesture with the verbal. Here are a few we taught.

DOWN

MAISIE LOOK

SIT

STAY

HEEL

LEAVE IT

FETCH/GO GET IT

SPOT

TAKE IT

BELL

HIGH FIVE

HOLD IT

JUMP

KISS

OFF

SHAKE - RIGHT AND LEFT

SITE PRETTY

SPIN

STAND

TOUCH

UP

BEDTIME

PLACE

HUNT IT UP

COME

QUIET

TUG

DANCE

UNDER

@nayt70 Oh yes! She loves my adult dog, she’s played with my friend’s puppy, and now that she’s got a stool sample done she can come to puppy socialization with me (outdoor in the morning of course).

I wanted to make sure she wouldn’t be too scared or reactive around other dogs and people, but she loves them sooooo much. And now she’s getting used to the fact that she’s on the leash and she can’t run to kiss strangers anymore haha