What determines price of breeds?

jcimindia

I know this is a dumb question, and I'm not asking to attack anyone... I know someone looking for a smaller breed dog as a pet. The prices have skyrocketed, I assume we can blame COVID. I expected somewhere in the $1000-1800 range. These pups start at $2k, some going $4-6k.

Is breeding literally your livelihood? Does breeding your dog in particular cost a lot, or is it a generalized fee for potential issues (if dog needs c-section)? Once you're done with a breeding (vet costs for mom, deworming, shots, whatever else for pups), is there still a decent profit margin on the pups?

What distinguishes "I'm breeding because I think my baby is perfect and the world should have more of them" vs "oh, this bitch will make me a fortune" to the outsider who is looking to buy? Do champion lines make a difference when you just want a puppy?

@jcimindia As a breeder there is a formula I use to price my dogs. It is a combination of food, vet care, supplies, etc. to establish my pricing. For example: 2 litters ago we implemented microchipping the pups. I worked with a company that provided sealed microchip syringes, a national registry, is for the life of the pet. Now vets in my area charge $125.00 average for a microchip to be installed and then the owner pays $9.99 a month on going for service. By having it done by me, I pay a flat fee. There is no monthly service fee to my new parents. So I had to increase my price of pups by $50. I feel this is increase is justified. There are many breeders that price by supply/demand marketing. Some go with the average in the area. Some are just crazy. Some are justified by their blood line and it's accomplishments. Other things that can dictate price are breed. For ex: Frenchies are the new breed trend. They require IVF for breeding and only have 2-3 pups and usually require c-section for birth. So you will spend the higher end to get one of these dogs. Now to compare ex: Labs can have 8-12 pups at a time. They can breed naturally with male and female. They are a hardy breed that usually can birth at home with no medical intervention. So you will more then likely find them at a friendlier price point. Because the breeder isn't paying for all the medical procedures that a Frenchie breeder will incur. (THESE ARE JUST LOOSE EXAMPLES NOT SCIENTIFIC FACTS ABOUT EACH BREED. I'M ONLY SHOWING EXAMPLES OF 2 ENDS OF THE SPECTRUM. BOTH CAN COST THE SAME DEPENDING ON MANY VARIANTS. RELAX.) Also the care of the puppies does cost a bit. Between feeding, care, vet, shots, microchipping, etc. the price can fluctuate. I suggest going on the kennel clubs web site as they list breeders, on the breed specific FaceBook page or Google and put in "_____ Breeders Near Me". Side Bar Note: NEVER GIVE A DEPOSIT ON A DOG YOU HAVE NOT SEEN AND HELD WITH YOUR OWN HANDS UNLESS THEY WERE RECOMMENDED BY THE KENNEL CLUB AND NEVER EVER LOOK ON CRAIGSLIST!! It may take time to find a reputable breeder within your budget but will be worth the wait. Good luck in your search.

@jcimindia Personally I don't believe in this "champion line" statement that many breeders use to promote their pups. We all know it's just a lie, marketing. Champion's brothers, sisters, sons or whatever, says nothing if the mating isn't the right one. And this, the right mating, even while it can (and should) be pursued by pedigree and genetics, will only be told for sure by the time the baby puppy is no longer such.

I appreciate the answers. My mom is looking for a "just a pet", and like I said, the prices are easily 2k. She wants to visit the dog prior to its release at 8 weeks, and the guy wants a deposit when she sees it (of course, no guarantee it will go to her, and he will "generously" give her back $300-400 of the $500 deposit). He also very generously will cover 1 yr of defects (the company/ broker offers 30 days). But he claims he's been burned by interested people so no budging on the deposit. The dog will eventually have papers submitted to the ACA, which i read means nothing. Right now, pups play outside on nicer days, and are kept in during bad weather. Something seems sketchy.

She wants me to join her to see the puppy (Amish farm?). I told her if I go, she will not be getting a dog, because I will expect to see the bitch, I will call the vet involved, I will be looking in its ears and asking to see the boarding, and if i don't like the smallest detail, I have no problem telling the guy no. I don't want to break her heart...

The whole thing screams puppy mill to me. She doesn't want to spend $4k for a pet. It's not that she can't afford a bill when she goes to the vet, and she is already budgeting for pet insurance, it's that she's of the older generation and on principle can't spend so much of a fixed budget on a dog. I know that it's a crapshoot. You can get a good dog from a backyard or mill, but I refuse to fork over $2000 to someone that breeds a dog in a kennel and skips the vet fees so they can get a bigger payday. (One place she looked at claimed their dogs were vetted, but the vet said they had never seen the pups).

Of course the shelters don't have cutesy small dogs here, mostly pit mixes. And when one rarely shows up, a rescue immediately snatches it up so they can determine who would be the best owner for 2-3x the shelter adoption fee. The ones left behind are older or special needs dogs.