Do you get people asking for a reduced price because they have to drive to get a puppy from you?

@arenee I have a hard time understanding why people do this. Surely there are Lab pups much much closer. Maybe they're trying to network or something? Idk.

@momom Because not all labs are equal. I drove to ohio for a lab puppy bred for temperament and companionship. Best dog i have ever had. Sad the breeder is shutting down. Might be the last dog i ever own now.

@momom They don’t really say to deduce that and for all they know, the breeders between them could be show or backyard breeders and doesn’t meet their needs/standards. I’m pretty sure they were trying to relate to the post abt how they have a common breed and ppl are still willing to travel to get their dogs.

@pr0dr0me Yeah, that's fair. They did reply to me to clarify that their dogs are in fact very accomplished. I better understand what was meant now.

@momom Just because I didn't put in any further detail. Both parents have tons of titles in different dog sports and dad comes from a breeder that produced alot of service dogs and moms from a long line of hunting dogs also with titles.

One of our out of state customers was actually sent out way from our females breeder as they had no available litters but recommended them to us because of our girls titles.

@zenia Are good breeders treating their mom's right? Dumb question, maybe.. but our local shelter has several moms that needed a home because they couldn't breed anymore... is this a thing? That made me so sad I couldn't help..

@zachariah89 Not a breeder but yes this does happen. Some dump puppies that did not get sold into shelters as well, because it's harder to sell a dog out of the small puppy stage. Typically though it's from backyard breeders that you don't want to support in the first place

@zachariah89 No ethical breeders will do this. Shelters and rescues will try to vilify every breeder out there and make it seem like they do, but there isn't a single ethical breeder who will dump a dog because that simply isn't an ethical thing to do. This is common with puppy mill and doodle breeders.

@momom I could get a byb lab from a Walmart parking lot 2 min drive away OR I could go to a reputable breeder that does genetic testing prior to breeding, and the dogs are either show titled or field titled. And if I'm going to purchase a labrador I'm going to purchase the right labrador and support an ethical breeder.

Labs aren't my breed, so I'll never purchase one, but if I was going to, I'm not getting a rando puppy just because they are closer.

@straw23 I'm only talking in terms of ethical breeders. Let's say there's a baseline that every breeder should meet which includes genetic testing, physical examination, vaccinations, etc. The assumption is that they've been AKC registered. And maybe their grand/great grandparents are titled. These would arguably make good dogs for most people.

Then there are other breeders who go above that and actively compete in sports, in the show ring, etc. And there are certain lines that are proven, producing offspring that excel in their fields, are working dogs for law enforcement, etc. These dogs have more prestige than your baseline or "average" dog of a particular breed. I more than understand traveling a greater distance for dogs that are more sought after for any number of reasons. I'm saying I don't understand going a greater distance for someone that just meets a baseline when there's someone much closer who does the same.

I don't have a problem with anyone buying what they want, whether they want pups from titled parents for whatever reason or if they just want a pet.

@arenee Are you an ethical and preservation breeder? Cause ik I personally will travel farther even if there are breeders closer if the breeder farther is an ethical/preservation breeder vs choosing one closer. I also won’t ever buy a show dog again. So those breeders are out too.

@pr0dr0me Yep! We are producing more working line labs cleared on all health tests. Looking into our hunt trials but both mom and dad have titles in various sports including CATS and obedience.

Dad's a English lab comes from a breeder that produced tons of dogs that went into service work. Moms an American lab from a long line of hunting dogs. Took my wife and I 3 years finding our female after all my genetics research into different breeders.

@sqs1 I live in a rural area. Stores are limited and prices are higher because they know they have a captive audience. If I want more selection and more competitive deals, I have to drive an hour away. When I get there, I don't get a discount due to distance traveled, they don't care. If your customer is having a conversation with you, apparently you have something they want and can't get closer to home either at all or it costs more.

I try everyway I can think of to convey my location in any postings. In the post title. In the description. Insertion of a google map image in the post. I still get inquiries that say "where r u located?" I reply "Podunk, Anystate." They come back with "where's that at?" or "how far is that from 'Big City, Utopia?'"

Really? This tells me 1--they can't read or else choose not to, 2--they can't/won't use google or google maps because they want someone to do it for them. Really, I can describe where Podunk is in relation to Big City much more clearly through a text message than a google search could on your end with maps, time/distance and breakdowns of possible routes?

Forget about the other possible response, "no, what is your address?" Forget it. You haven't even had a discussion with me about the dogs, I'm not a store, I'm not giving you my address so you can just show up when I'm not home, at an inconvenient time, or plot to rob me.

If I was having a promising conversation with someone at a distance and it seems like distance might be a barrier, I could see bringing the price down some if it's going to complete the deal. But to suggest it once they've arrived, no. They've already made the trip, and they can go home empty-handed if they feel that's the better option. They set out knowing the minimum and shouldn't be reliant upon it dropping any further.

@john1974 “If a customer is having a conversation with you apparently you have something they want.”

That’s what gets me. If you want a discount based on having to travel I assume you don’t value my dogs much more than a dog you could adopt at the pound. You should travel because it’s worth it, and if it’s not worth the trip + full price then you don’t truly want my puppy in particular that much.

Sometimes my puppies go to people who are 30 minutes away. Sometimes people drive out of state or a long distance from the northern end of the state (I’m so south in GA I’m almost at the Florida border) to get them. And the people who travel and don’t complain have universally turned out to be incredible owners. They’re the people buying all the puppy supplies ahead of time and asking me for videos and pictures of their puppy while they wait for it to turn old enough to go with them. They are the ones who put them in little sweaters and send me pictures of them playing with favorite toys, going to their kids ball games, riding in their little doggy car seat.

Essentially they are so excited and in love with their puppies. I just don’t get that energy from complainers.

@sqs1 I'm in Colorado and have pups literally all over the country and nobody has ever wanted a discount because they traveled to me. It's crazy, puppy buyers so often think WE owe them something. What they don't understand is that we aren't obligated to sell our pups to anyone.
When you purchase from a reputable breeder you are not only getting decades of my hard work but you are also getting a lifetime of breeder support. That's worth far more than the discount they are asking for.

@sqs1
If you want a discount based on having to travel I assume you don’t value my dogs much more than a dog you could adopt at the pound.

I understand choosing a well-bred, specific dog, but to imply that one of those has more value than a "pound dog" kind of rubs me the wrong way. Especially given my lovely shelter animals, I protest.

@victorbell The value is based on the purpose of the dog being purchased in the first place. As far as companionship, a shelter dog with a good temperament is just as worthwhile as a well-bred, Pure bred who also has a good temperament.

But if I'm looking for a dog that needs to perform a specific job. I'm not going to risk going to a shelter. Or I don't know anything about that. Dog's genetics or whether or not. They're going to be able to perform the job or not.

Have people adopted dogs that end up being AMAZING hunting/herding/LSD/service dogs? Sure. But it's a risk you end up getting a wash. You're less likely to get a wash if you purchase a dog that was purpose bred from dogs who were also purpose bred.

Back