What are your "top 3" tips?

breatheme

Reactive dog owners, let's show each other some kindness & support! The title says it all! I'll start.
  1. It's OK to mourn the dog you hoped that you'd have, but don't forget to love & train the dog that you do have. šŸ’–
  2. Let go of caring what other people think. On a walk, my dog is my priority, not whatever random people I pass. I used to be so concerned with being polite, to a point where I know that I put my dog in situations that were uncomfortable for her. I was also shy/embarrassed about verbally praising her for being brave. I really wish I had let go of that sooner. If I could go back in time I would talk some sense into me and we'd all (me, doggo, random strangers) be better for it!!
  3. Stella and Chewie's Wild Weenies. My God. These things are expensive but, for my dog, there is no treat that even comes close.

@breatheme
  1. Don't underestimate management. It's a lot less "flashy" than formal behavior mod, but my dog has made more gains in his reactivity since we threw in the towel on behavior mod and just pursued management.
  2. Your dog is worthy of love, even if they don't fit the picture of the dog you want, or if your friends/family all have "good" dogs and cannot understand. They are still worthy even if you decide you never want a dog again, or if you decide that you likely don't want to chance a rescue again. And please don't let anyone blame you for their reactivity. The "it's all how you raise them" narrative is toxic and stale.
  3. Ask lots of questions of professionals. Make them show their work and explain their methods and the psychology behind them. Dog training is unregulated, and even accredited trainers may not be a good fit or appropriate for reactive/aggressive dogs (even if they claim to take them on as clients).

@annewayne26 Exactly! Iā€™ve seen people trash management as some kind of cop out. But active management has been so helpful to us. People can walk by on the sidewalk, this weekend someone even surprised us from behind and my boy is just ready to hunt for his treats in the grass, or comes to me for his reward. I let him watch triggers if I think he can handle it, but if I feel like heā€™s getting too upset or itā€™s an emergent situation I just call out ā€œfind itā€ and itā€™s so cool how quickly his nose is to the ground, even before Iā€™ve had a chance to toss the treats.

My pup has a foundation with engage/disengage and I think that helped somewhat, but we have far and away had more success than before and I think management has been a huge help.

@imagebeastmarkbeast No worries - I responded to someone else who asked and it got kind of long, so Iā€™m just going to copy/paste if thatā€™s okay! šŸ˜Š

There can be some crossover, which is why IMO the management is working so well for us.

But management would be anything that just manages the behavior without necessarily setting out to change it.

So with my dogā€™s resource guarding, the first thing I did was just feed him in a separate room from everyone else. No real training or behavior mod (I did a little of that later) and it helped a ton. He doesnā€™t need that anymore but I still do a lot of management - I separate him from my cat when I leave the house, monitor them while heā€™s eating, etc.

For his reactivity, instead of like doing set ups or real walks anymore, or working with a trainer or pursuing any of the main behavior mod protocols (aside from engage/disengage, which is just really a habit at this point) I took the management FDSA course and started doing that instead, in very specific places. So he goes in my backyard (which is not fenced), my parentsā€™ farm on weekends for off leash walking, and to campus in the evenings or mornings when itā€™s a lot less busy. And our goal isnā€™t really behavior mod either - itā€™s just to get exercise in a place where there are either no triggers, or enough space to get away from the triggers if needed. We do lots of magnet hand, and ā€œfind itā€ scatters.

Iā€™ve seen a lot of people sort of advertise this as ā€œavoidingā€ triggers and ā€œavoidingā€ the problem. But IME, itā€™s been a way to set him up for success and still meet his needs. And itā€™s been really successful. We walked on campus Easter morning and had a guy come up behind us that I didnā€™t see until too late to get much space - and my pup just calmly watched, then looked for his treat scatter. Likewise when another man was walking toward us - we got off the sidewalk, but not nearly as far as weā€™ve had to in the past. People walk by my house and he does still have some outbursts, but small ones and heā€™s easily reined in. It occurred to me today that some people walking by may never even realize that he is reactive, and that is powerful.

@annewayne26 Can you please speak more to this? Our trainer never mentioned this before. Iā€™m very interested to learn more.
Do you mean observe his behaviors when he sees another dog, and then manage the behaviors?

Thank you in advance.

@debranch Management refers to decisions you make to keep your dog as comfortable as possible, even when faced with those surprise, unexpected triggers. There are a few different techniques people refer to (e.g., emergency u-turn, magnet hand, scatter feeding), and if you want to learn more then I highly recommend listening to Cog-Dog Radio's podcast with Dr. Amy Cook titled "Managing Reactivity."

Dr. Amy Cook also has an online course dedicated to teaching management strategies through the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy. I haven't ever taken it, but I'm sure this podcast is like a preview of what that course offers.

https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/7467

@tlwilnos It's essentially a handful of treats/kibble or even a squeeze tube filled with a yummy treat that you stick right up to their nose and gradually dispense to them - the close proximity and their tendency to stay "connected" with you during this exercise is why it's called a magnet hand. Your hand is essentially acting as a magnet.

It is a management technique that you initially practice in isolation, without the presence of a trigger so that when the time comes where you are passing an unexpected unavoidable trigger, your dog will eat the treats instead of reacting at the dog - maybe they won't even notice the dog since they're so locked in trying to get the treats out of your hand.

Eventually, this routine can serve to change the underlying emotion a dog feels when seeing a trigger.

@annewayne26 How is your dog about taking the treats? I know when mine is frustrated heā€™s more like a shark and it hurts so Iā€™m afraid to have a handful of food and have him eat my hand!!

@daughterofgod99 In that case, I'd use a silicone squeeze tube with the treat!

*edit: my dog sometimes uses his teeth too! Generally he's okay, but when starting out, he definitely used his teeth more.

@daughterofgod99 These are the ones I use! If something really thick is in them, they clean out pretty easily if you just run it under water and repeatedly squeeze :) I personally like to take the cap off and let my dog lick the inside of the tube.

humangear GoToob+ Refillable Silicone Travel Size Bottles with Locking Cap, Teal, Medium (2.5oz) https://a.co/d/eqx25gt

@annewayne26 What kinds of treats do you put in the tube? We use peanut butter lick mats for giving her a bath, but wanted to mix it up with something more special in the tube.

@authormargaretrosefrancis There can be some crossover, which is why IMO the management is working so well for us.

But management would be anything that just manages the behavior without necessarily setting out to change it.

So with my dogā€™s resource guarding, the first thing I did was just feed him in a separate room from everyone else. No real training or behavior mod (I did a little of that later) and it helped a ton. He doesnā€™t need that anymore but I still do a lot of management - I separate him from my cat when I leave the house, monitor them while heā€™s eating, etc.

For his reactivity, instead of like doing set ups or real walks anymore, or working with a trainer or pursuing any of the main behavior mod protocols (aside from engage/disengage, which is just really a habit at this point) I took the management FDSA course and started doing that instead, in very specific places. So he goes in my backyard (which is not fenced), my parentsā€™ farm on weekends for off leash walking, and to campus in the evenings or mornings when itā€™s a lot less busy. And our goal isnā€™t really behavior mod either - itā€™s just to get exercise in a place where there are either no triggers, or enough space to get away from the triggers if needed. We do lots of magnet hand, and ā€œfind itā€ scatters.

Iā€™ve seen a lot of people sort of advertise this as ā€œavoidingā€ triggers and ā€œavoidingā€ the problem. But IME, itā€™s been a way to set him up for success and still meet his needs. And itā€™s been really successful. We walked on campus Easter morning and had a guy come up behind us that I didnā€™t see until too late to get much space - and my pup just calmly watched, then looked for his treat scatter. Likewise when another man was walking toward us - we got off the sidewalk, but not nearly as far as weā€™ve had to in the past. People walk by my house and he does still have some outbursts, but small ones and heā€™s easily reined in. It occurred to me today that some people walking by may never even realize that he is reactive, and that is powerful.

Back