[VENT] 1 y/o puppy not snuggly :(

midwestfound

My 1 year old golden retriever puppy is just not snuggly and it makes me SAD.

I know he loves me. He follows me everywhere including the bathroom and is depressed when I leave (according to my partner). But because it’s not MY love language, the relationship just doesn’t always feel fulfilling.

I’ve had him since a pup and he is an objectively awesome dog. I put my heart and soul into his training, enrichment, and food. I feel guilty for being so disappointed but it stinks to feel like I’m not getting the love back in the way that I want.

I’m working on appreciating the dog in front of me while holding out hope that he grows into more of a snuggler. 🤞🏼

@midwestfound My dachshund would get anxious and stressed at being held in any sort of hug/cuddle, especially as she got older, which sucked cuz sometimes ALL I wanted to do was squeeze her tight! But she was also absolutely adamant that she had to be touching me at all times when we were on the couch or in bed. Her butt was always against my thigh 😂 it just became such a comfort and reassurance to have her little warm lump next to me, that it made up for everything 💖 she showed her love and affection in her way, which isn't always the way us humans want, but it was still the best thing ever to have her nestled in her blanket fort beside me, longingly staring up at me hoping I will give her treats 🐶

Give your boy time! He's still young and has many years to become a couch potato!

@midwestfound Listen , I grew up with a golden Brandy . Brandy was old school type beautiful Golden Retriever. Dark red , huge deep body, giant smile and the softest fur.He was my dream dog.

Sadly , he was friendly to the family and truly loved us but he turned on his biggest charms for strangers … he lived to meet new people , kids whatever … he would be sweet and silly with them … allow hugs …
At home with us he would often let out a huge sigh after we petted him…

We were staff , staff he loved… but staff we were.

It was akin to living with a desperate politician… “ I have to get out there and kiss those babies “ I could hear him saying in my head.

So yes , I get your disappointment because when one gets a golden we expect the cuddles …

@midwestfound Our 1yr Goldie Girl isn’t snuggly at all (except in a thunderstorm) but it’s ok we know she will be on day

I think it’s just the way they are full of energy and love being active 😊 they’d rather play wrestle over cuddle

@midwestfound Apes cuddle, dogs press their sides into you in their version of a hug.

I might be crazy but you could train him to perform some sort of cuddle. It’s a different language to him I guess.

@midwestfound Some dogs just aren't, but you can guilt them into the occasional cuddle. My grey hates cuddling (which is an exception for his breed), but after nearly 3 years with me now indulges me for a few minutes every day with a cuddle - then basically tells me to go away, but I treasure those few minutes that he allows me. I think I love it more because he knows it means something to me. I am hoping my puppy when he calms down will be a cuddler though!