Our Christmas success was actually… really sad

@wuodnyawasi I have really noticed this as my reactive girl has begun adapting much more quickly to visitors. She stops barking after a few minutes now, and if a visitor gives her a little space she'll creep up to them... with her tail between her legs, her whole body canted backwards, and her ears down. She sniffs them really hesitantly, and she warms up quickly but it's so clear that she's terrified of them.

That's an improvement for her. That's what greater confidence looks like. Strangers aren't a frantic panic attack, they're just something scary that you could investigate. I'm super proud of how bravely she'll engage, but it's really striking how much it comes from a place of fear.

She is doing so well now, I'm so proud.

@wuodnyawasi We brought my leash-reactive dog to visit my mom, who has three very barky, untrained small dogs. We always introduce new dogs to her outside, and she is fine with them afterwards.
It annoys me to no end, because they'll bark and run up on her and do all that stuff, but my mom still sees it as just them being scared, but it would be our dog being aggressive.
I reframed it this year by saying our dog was also scared. Her dogs are reactive, also.
Or dog has done so well. She hasn't barked once, but every single time she leaves our room, three tiny dogs sprint at her barking. I'm so proud of how calm she's been.