Oldest safe age for FIRST litter?

sammac

My dog (20 kg) had her first litter at age 5. Puppies 1,2,3,4,5,7 are healthy and thriving but number 6 was sadly stillborn. Mom is doing well. Curious what you guys think.

View Poll

@sammac I won't breed a bitch after 6. Unless and I do mean unless she is given an absolutely fantastic bill of health from my reproductive vet and it's either a first or second litter. I don't breed my girls more than twice.

If she is given a go ahead from my vet then I will attempt to breed her on her next season. If she doesn't take I move on to another bitch. I'm perhaps a big more strict than some breeders but I've seen older bitches have some serious issue whelping. Just make sure your vet gives an all clear. I breed large breed that have a very good lifespan. 14-15 years of age is a norm for my lines.

@sammac That depends a lot on breed and individual dog. There's no cut and dry answer.

I have a 12yo here who acts and looks like a 5yo. Dogs get pretty old in that breed. So oldest safe age for a dog in that breed is generally higher than e.g. A great dane* because they generally have a shorter lifespan

*I'm not too familiar with Danes so happy to be corrected.

Back