Off-leash dogs in Europe vs. off-leash dogs in the U.S

alfred1963

This is sort of a one-off question for this sub, but here it goes.

I recently visited Amsterdam, Rome, and Paris. Everywhere I went, there were lots of off-leash dogs behaving very nicely. Even on crowded streets in these big cities, off-leash dogs would stick right next to their owners. When I saw dogs in city parks, their owners gave them release commands and the dogs happily played with other off-leash dogs. None of these dogs were in designated off-leash areas. They were just not on a leash in many places, and always behaving extremely well. Never once did a dog come up to me and ask for attention, and there was only one occasion where I saw a dog growl at another dog. Otherwise, they all peacefully coexisted with other dogs and humans.

I'm an American, and up until now I have been pretty opposed to letting one's dog off leash anywhere besides a dog park. In my experience, an off-leash dog has immense advantages over leashed dogs when it comes to body language and canine communication. The one and only time my dog has been in a fight was when she was off leash and another dog was on leash. Wherever I go in the U.S., people generally leash their dogs when they are supposed to, and I have never seen an off-leash dog walking closely by its owner in a big city on a busy street.

So what is going on here? Why did I observe so many well-behaved off-leash dogs in Europe, but when there's an off-leash dog in the U.S. (other than inside a dog park), it usually means trouble? What is it about European dog training that makes dogs coexist so peacefully with other dogs, and what makes dogs stick by their owners in a way I've never seen in the U.S.?

TL;DR: Visited Europe for three weeks and saw tons of well-behaved off-leash dogs in big cities. What is it about the U.S. that makes this scenario a recipe for dog fights or for dogs running away? What are Europeans doing with their dogs that we are not? (Don't worry, I'm not just going to start letting my dog off-leash everywhere. I'm just wondering.)

@alfred1963 From what I have heard generally Europeans are allowed to bring their dogs more places and hence it's a lot more worth while to enact that kind of training to that level. If you have to leave your dog home all the time then most people aren't going to train up that level. However if your dog can come into a cafe with you everyone is going to get better training enacted.

@goldsmith129 That's a very interesting theory, and I think you're correct. Dogs were everywhere. Lots of human activities (eating, lounging) seem to be conducted outside on a regular basis more than in the U.S., so there must be a large incentive to train one's dog. Thanks!

@ericcgregg Yeah. I'm in the US, but my work is/was (long story) dog-friendly, and I also mostly work at home. I'm amazed at the difference between my new dog, who I've been taking everywhere with me, and my older dog, who was not raised that way. We have such a stronger bond and understanding after only a few months, and a super recall.

She doesn't stay at my side all the time (she's a puppy!), but she definitely stays in view, and never tries to run off. She gets upset when I go somewhere I can't bring her! Not in an anxious/destructive way, she's just obviously disappointed.

Part of this also is that I'm a much better trainer, and can afford to take better classes with her. And she's a people-pleasing German Shepard. I think a large part of it is that we're together most of the day, almost every day.

@mille Yeah nice. I constantly talk to him. E.g., if he sees a bird or a rabbit I'll say "woah what was that?"

That sort of thing. So he knows I'm in tune with his view of the world.

@goldsmith129 I think this is also self-reinforcing. I know a few dogs that have been raised in this way in the US. That is, from an early age, they went to work and out in public with their owners, often off-leash. They behave just like the "European" dogs the OP comments on. Because they are always out and about, they are well-socialized, exercised, mentally stimulated, and relaxed.

In the US, if we're being realistic, most dogs are left alone 9 hours a day. They just aren't made a priority in people's lives. Most houses in my neighborhood have a dog (about 120 households in the neighborhood, so I would say at least 60 dogs, as a conservative estimate). I only see about 3 dogs ever getting walked in my area. Most of the dogs we pass bark and throw themselves madly against the bay windows at the front of the house, or try to lunge through their fence at us. I make my dogs a priority, and between a full time job, family, and general life I still struggle to give them the work and attention that really wears them out.

Because of this, in the US, the idea of the "norm" for dog behavior is a bit more hyper-unexcercised-crazy than well-behaved-chill. Consequently, fewer spaces are open to dogs, because if everyone brought their hyper untrained dog, it would be a shitshow.

This is really just my two cents, and based in no scientific data whatsoever, just my own observations and opinions.

@goldsmith129 Not only would it make it more worth while, but it makes it more possible in general.

As my dog is getting much better with needing to go and greet every person and dog, I've been looking for more and more places to train her. Honestly, there just aren't that many dog friendly places around as there aren't very many pedestrian friendly places around.

I don't know of any restaurants at my price point that allow dogs on the patio. I don't know of any stores that allow dogs in my area save the petsmart. So I just cannot train my dog how to behave in those areas specifically because it's not allowed.

@bojan There is a liquor store near us that allows dogs in. That place now gets 100% of our business as there are perhaps 3-4 liquor stores in the area that has their beer selection but that's the only place that lets us bring the pup in.

@bojan I might be stating the obvious... but..

A lot of places around me are not pet friendly by default. However, most restaruants, even chain places, have let us take our dog if we are willing to sit on the patio/ outside seating area. We also ask to be sat at the edge just incase and are willing to wait for a seat.

@alfred1963 Slightly off topic, but in Switzerland it is mandatory by law to pass 5 lessons of theory and 5 exercise lessons with your dog (IIRC) before you are allowed to have a dog. I think it's great!

@tobehisalone In Germany, to get a dog from pretty much any legit source there is some sort of interview process. When I got my Aussie, my girlfriend and I had to interview with the breeder several times to make sure we were good enough for their dogs.

In my experience as an American living in Europe, Europeans take pet ownership a lot more seriously than Americans.

@husserl A lot of rescues and shelters are starting to do that in the US as well. The pit bull rescue I work with does that, as well as having a home inspection and personal reference checks. That's also part of being a pit rescue, to avoid them going to dog fighters.

@tobehisalone That is such a good idea! While I wish that were the case here in the U.S., we have huge dog overpopulation problems in this country — therefore, I don't think putting up another barrier to adopting a dog would work here. I wish we could start from scratch and do it like Switzerland.