Neutering 4.5 y/o male

jennifer1987

We are finally making the decision to neuter our 4.5 year old long coat GSD Kenobi. We are pregnant with our first child and do not have plans on breeding him so we agreed now is the best time.

My question is; has anyone else neutered at this age. Any tips? Things we should or shouldn’t expect?

@erniedavid Thank you, most I think is my hormones making me nervous. God forbid his personality changed and put my baby in danger I’d have to get rid of the baby! 😝😂😂😂 joking of course I’d never get rid of either!

@jennifer1987 That’s a perfectly safe and healthy age to neuter a dog, the risk is neutering them when they’re too young. I wouldn’t expect his behavior to change or anything. Just be prepared to make sure he takes it easy for a few days, have some bones and treats and stuff to occupy him and keep an eye for any changes in behavior that could indicate pain or complications. Your vet should tell you what to watch out for. He’ll probably get a cone for his head to keep him from licking at the affected area and he will most likely hate that, that’s the hard part.

@jennifer1987 My rescue dog was neutered around 3. We didn't know his exact age, but well over two, possibly closer to 4.

The vet didn't even mention any possible complications because of his age. The surgery was done as usual, he stayed at vet overnight and was sore a day or two. Had to wear cone of shame. I think they prescribed tramadol.

I noticed he became a little sluggish a week after the surgery. I imagine the testosterone crash made him feel yucky. We gave him lots of love.

Congrats on baby!!!!!!

Back