My puppy (3 m.o) has a swollen nipple

laurapalooza

I've had my puppy for a month and a half, and besides the usual shenanigans, she's quite well behaved. This morning while i was at the vet for her second shot, I noticed her belly was kinda irritated and told the vet, she gave me a hydrocortisone cream for dogs and told me to put it on her 3 times a day were she developes a rash.

Today while we were at the nearby park for some much needed excersice. She was scratching her belly with the grass, and when i went to put the leash again to walk home, her nipple was bloody. I rushed home and cleaned it with water but idk what else to do.

Has anyone experienced something like that?

@laurapalooza Is her nipple independently swollen, or did she catch it with her nail while scratching her rash?

If her rash is itchy, and she scratched it, and caught her nipple, and tore it = symptoms explained. Carry on with the rash treatment and if there is no improvement in the next 24 hours, or if you can’t stop the bleeding, or if she starts bleeding anywhere else, go back to the vet.

If her nipple is bleeding because it is swollen for another reason, then it’s a bigger problem. Go back to the vet immediately.

@portal542 I catch her scraching and the nipple was in the way, it looks exactly how you said, and i found what gave her allergies. There's a plant on my moms garden that has some puff in it that my mom said makes itch on the skin.

I'm thinking about getting a gate so she can't access there. It doesn't have pus or ozzing or any other symptom other than redness and swallowing. My poor baby

@laurapalooza That’s a good idea. If you think she’s itchy because of the plant, washing her carefully in gentle soap might be a plan. Be really careful of her rash - it might be sore and the soap will sting it.