My neighbors dog, one of them (there are 2) is super aggressive, very large and attacks the fence boards every time they know we are outside

greatdanemom

A few weeks ago the dog actually came through the fence to attack twice. Once while I was sitting outside looking at threads and another on police bodycam footage while the K9 officer was outside with me looking at the multiple boards the dog took out and the holes that were dug. The second time it happened, my instinct was to make a loud yell and try to intimidate it to back down and the cop drew his taser. Needless to say we retreated inside. Cop spoke to neighbors and said to fix the fence and control their dog. The city’s animal control has become involved and they spoke with the owners twice. They told me what their next steps would be and it was a severe escalation to say the very least. Let’s say Texas does play around with dangerous animals and while it’s not an immediate euthanasia situation, once it’s in the hands of the legal system, there’s either compliance or going through the process that ends there after any further escalation. I am not trying to start a war with the people next door and I really think the dogs behavior is because of the upbringing and the owners. I’ve had LARGE dogs and my last dog was a German Shepherd who came from a K-9 lineage (both parents). She knew her job and she did it well but she never was activated unless I gave the command.

Today, I was mowing the backyard and once I cut the grass I noticed a couple new holes under the fence. I decided to block the homes with bricks and they went apeshit. The homeowner came out and I said through the fence I’m sorry but I’m plugging the holes and she didn’t even acknowledge me or respond. Like Jesus lady, seriously?

Nothing has changed since and although I am a dog person (RIP Gretchen😥), I am facing a catch 22 situation. I have children and I feel threatened too. After enough abuse those fence board are going to come crashing down. They are old. I rent so I can’t make it happen unless the homeowner agrees to pay. I’m pretty sure they are not going to proactively do it.

Can I please get some rational advice? I have a right to safety and I’m also not looking to kill a dog that’s trying to do what it’s been trained to do.

@greatdanemom Had a similar situation and fortunately my neighbor did start chaining his dog up inside yard when animal control warned him about the broken fence boards. It still scares me because the thing goes wild and clearly wants to eat me whenever I happen to go outside when it is outside. It’s not outside that often though.

Honestly OP, it sounds like you’re doing everything you can do. If you have to kill the dog, that won’t be your fault. I am sure you’re well aware of this, but don’t let your kids back there for even a second without an armed adult back there…

@greatdanemom I don’t have kids, just animals, and I wouldn’t hesitate to kill a dog that came after my animals on my own property. A couple of loose pits broke in through my storm door about six years ago and mauled my dog in the middle of my living room, then chased me through my house trying to rip him from my arms once I had gotten him away from them. I don’t fuck around anymore, and it’s not like in a bad area. I have weapons placed strategically inside and outside of my home and I carry a large hunting knife on my person when I’m walking around my property. Never wanted to be unprepared again after that day,

@godisgreat_77 Thanks. Yes he was ok, disfigured, but ultimately ok after several months of very expensive surgeries only available at a specialty hospital three hours away. Dogs were only loose for maybe fifteen minutes. The owners home owners insurance ended up paying for it but we did have to sue. That wasn’t the owners fault though, they took immediate responsibility, the insurance company was just being an asshole.

@greatdanemom You’re going to have to make some choices here. I see four.

1) Live with it. Certainly not a great choice, and it likely endangers you and your kids.

2) Give the neighbor grief. For as long as it takes. Tell them what will happen if you or your child is injured because of their dog.

3) Give the landlord grief. If use of the yard is written into your lease, I’d harass the landlord about. The way to go about it will depend somewhat on your state’s laws. But you may be able to treat it as a partial eviction and put that money into escrow. That would likely get the landlord to properly deal with it.

4) Skip all of these and go straight back to the police.

You need to decide which option would work best for you.

@greatdanemom I have a solution that is both effective and petty. Get an airhorn (and maybe some earplugs), and bring it outside with you every single time you go outside. If the dogs start attacking the fence, get as close as you can (while still being safe), and repeatedly blast the airhorn towards your neighbors house. It is an aversive sound for dogs, and while I wouldn’t recommend it for normal training you have to take drastic measures to protect yourself and your family. It will also annoy your neighbors. Win win.

ETA: it should be a big airhorn, the louder the better.

@greatdanemom Those don’t work very well. Airhorns will work, at least the first few times. The other thing you could do is write them a cease and desist letter, sent by certified mail, saying you’re going to file an injunction (basically ask a court to make them stop) for nuisance. You would have to look at your local codes to find the noise and nuisance ordinances, and put in the applicable code. Here’s a general overview for Texas but local laws may/will be different. I’m not sure how much teeth that will actually have but it’s possible the threat might get them to do something.

@greatdanemom This dog might be the sweetest dog to its family or think it's just doing its job but this is a possibly deadly/life-altering situation... I don't want to sound dramatic but it just takes one accident.

If you rent call your landlord and ask for solutions. If THEY rent and you can call their landlord you might have to. It sounds like the lady doesn't take this seriously. I would continue to make reports to animal control any time something alarming happens and keep a record of what is going on.

Stay safe and I wish the best for the poor dog in the situation too.

@greatdanemom We own a dog of a race known to be escape artists.
The fastest and safest way to fix the fence 'for now', is with steel nets, used to reinforce concrete.
Your neighbor can put them up against the fence, and secure them with tacks at the end, and in intervals across the nets.
At the bottom, just place a strip of those nets on the ground, preferably on low cut grass, or in the sand. Everything that grows, will through and over it, and you can just mow the lawn over it, no problem. But the dog won't be able to dig through the ground or the fence.

Because the steel rods are so narrow, they won't mess up the esthetic of their fence, and you can plant climbing plants at the bottom, that weave through the netting.

If they refuse, you can do it on your side, and demand to be reimbursed. But I don't know how that would work.

Your neighbor sucks and is a poor dog owner. But being nice and pretend to understand to come up with constructive solutions will get you a lot better outcomes than showing your real emotions and opinion. Catch a fly with honey,.and all that

this is what it looks like, without the fence. If there is a fence already, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to install, because they won't need poles and all that.

Also, if the dog is not a climber, they only have to do the bottom half.

Back