My friend’s GSD mix just attacked her 1 y/o son. She sees nothing wrong with this. Help?

anadascal

TW: description of injury / child injury

Throwaway.
Okay, so, I’m sorry for the way this is written - I’m on mobile and I’m extremely upset right now and very emotional. Please bear with me; I’ll try and be brief.

So, I, 30F have been friends with Sarah 28F, for 10~ years. About 4 years ago, she adopted a GSD mix (unknown breeds) from a shelter named Jennie (6) Jennie comes from a tough, abusive background and is very, very anxious. She reacts badly/loudly to other dogs and she gets stressed out super easily. We don’t know much more on her past as she was abandoned as a young dog at this shelter with not much to go on other than her looks, nature, and scars.

Fast forward to this Friday. I get a very emotional message from Sarah, saying Jennie bit her baby Zachariah (1-ish M). She explained to me that Zac was waddling around, stepped on Jennie’s tail, and she freaked out and gave him a “warning bite” while growling.

Now, I don’t believe this was just a “warning bite” as Sarah tried to make it out to be. It was a level 4 bite. Zac needed stitches. He had to have cosmetic surgery on his arm. He was put under anaesthesia to clean his wounds and stitch him back up. That’s freaking terrifying to me.

Sarah keeps attempting to minimise this event, saying it’s understandable that Jennie freaked out, that the dog was in “her own space”, and that it’s “not too bad” because the baby is fine, the dog is fine, and it’s all okay. Sarah then said she’d be getting Jennie retrained and that the dog and that baby would be kept separate, which hasn’t happened.

I was sent videos yesterday of Jennie all over Zac again, licking and snuffling him. I don’t know how to feel about that.

I also don’t know how to get through to Sarah that I don’t think “retraining” is enough for this emotional wreck of a traumatised dog. Sarah keeps sticking to her story about just not catching Zac in time to stop him from stepping on the dog, and that Jennie didn’t mean it, that she was stressed and freaked out.

Please, Reddit, help me. I need help with a few things.
1) how do I get Sarah to see that this is, in fact, a very big deal?
2) is this at risk of happening again?
3) if this does happen again, what then?
4) should I be trying to convince Sarah to re-home Jennie?

ETA:
We are in the U.K.
Social services, the police, the hospitals nearby, and even Zac’s nursery are aware and involved. I’m one of many people that have contacted the first two and quite literally nothing is happening. I promise we’re trying.

@anadascal
  1. have her look up brooklinn khoury's story. 1 bite and her life changed in an instant
  2. yes. absolutely. 100%
  3. she needs to make a decision between her child and dog.
  4. yes. but is it worth it? good luck. your friend is naïve as fuck and refusing to be logical about a very serious situation.
similar scenario happened with a friend of mine. except her husband was the one acting like your friend. 3rd time the husky bit her son, unwarranted, he needed stitches on his face and the dogs tooth thankfully just missed his eye. so it took her husband 3 bites to even acknowledge the problem.

i have zero respect for parents who refuse to take accountability for putting their child in a sketchy situation.

@arielovesjesus OMG! Reading Brooklinn Khoury’s story will keep me awake tonight!

OP, my grandmother had a very obvious seventy-year-old scar on her forearm from a dog bite. Her forearm. Not her face.

@anadascal Anaesthesia on little bodies is a huge risk - the fact her child required being put under to manage his wounds is really, really serious. It's tough because you've been mates a long time but if she's minimising because of her guilt at allowing this to happen, it will only mean she tries to cover up future incidents as well.

In an ideal world you'd go over, sit down with her and look her in the eye to drive home how important this is: she's taken on an animal that is not suitable for her household. It will be years before her son is old enough to be able to defend himself from a dog let alone one as big as the dog she brought home. The dog has already caused a life threatening injury - if she had been at another angle she could have severed a nerve and paralysed his arm, if she had been at yet another angle she could have taken off his nose. If she won't accept a calm serious talk from one of her closest friends, she needs to understand that you will put Zach's safety ahead of anything and you will speak to authorities to protect him if she doesn't take action now. The dog has to go.

@msolga Not only the anesthesia, but the risk of infection from a dog bite is HUGE. This poor baby. I get loving your dog (I used to work in the vet field and did dog training; I am a big animal lover), but I’d put my kids’ health safety over the life of an animal in a heartbeat. I’ve talked to my vet about or senior reactive and medicated dog, and she said she’d support a behavioral euthanasia with no questions asked for the safety of our kids. For now, we are managing, but as he ages, the risk increases and we will make the decision to protect our babies.

@anadascal Reading this gave me second hand anxiety. I’m sorry for the position you’re in, and I am stunned (and honestly disgusted) by your friend’s behavior.

My 11 year old pit/Rottweiler cross developed dementia when my daughter was about one, and it caused my dog to develop fear-based aggression. She growled and lunged at my cat whom she’d known and loved her whole life (the kitty was not harmed), and we immediately started using a lot of baby gates to try and keep everyone separated, but unfortunately that made the dog’s anxiety worse. One day she began growling at my baby daughter, and even though it was devastating, my husband and I knew it was time to say our goodbyes. I loved that dog, and had her from the time she was a tiny puppy, but I couldn’t risk a bite to my child. One bite could maim a baby or worse, so we had to take our beloved dog to her final vet appointment. It was devastating, but I’ve always known we made the right decision.

I truly hope your friend gains some clarity, because this situation is insane. I can’t believe she is intentionally endangering her own child; it’s honestly sickening.

@sanctifiedwoman My beloved old lady got dementia……..you putting your girl to sleep when you did was a blessing. I waited too late and it was heartbreaking watching her lose her mind. She started sundowning, she didn’t recognize us sometimes, it was so fucking sad. We had a vet come out to our home, she had a very peaceful death, but we should have done it earlier for her sake. You absolutely did the right thing, for your dog and your child.

@tropicalbaby Thank you so much for your kindness. I’m so sorry to hear about your experience, but I think it’s lovely that your dog was able to pass peacefully in her home surrounded by those who loved her.

@sanctifiedwoman I’m so incredibly sorry. My mom’s dog was a rescue with a traumatic past when she got pregnant with me. My mom and dad rehomed the dog immediately upon finding out about their pregnancy, to my nana and grandpa’s house. Then, when we went over for Christmas a few months later, she got right in my face when I was in my infant car seat, as a new baby, and growled at me aggressively. They had her put down the next day. I always feel so bad, knowing that happened, but I’m so grateful my parents and grandparents put my safety first 34 years ago. My mom was working as a veterinary technician at the time and felt she was well equipped to handle the dog with behavioral issues, and she was right! Katie lived a happy, quiet life for years longer than she would have in the shelter they found her in. Then I was born. I cannot imagine behaving like OP’s friend in this scenario. Obviously, it’s absolutely heartbreaking, but the safety of that baby is at such high risk right now and the dog is likely living in a constant state of miserable anxiety. It’s cruel to everyone involved.

@bambus Thank you so much for you kindness, and for sharing a similar situation from the other side of the equation! It was an extremely hard thing to do, but making the decision was not, if that makes sense. I loved my dog, and it wasn’t her fault, but the situation was untenable. Given her age and cognitive decline, we felt that re-homing wasn’t the right choice. I’m fact, my parents offered to take my dog, but because they have two cats and the dog was displaying aggression towards our kitty, we didn’t think it would be safe.

My daughter is now four, and she has her very own golden retriever puppy (eight months old) who is outrageously sweet and gentle with her, but I still miss Cupcake and hope she is resting easy now.

@sanctifiedwoman For what it’s worth, I’m sure cupcake is resting easily, and at complete peace!

My mom also has a wonderfully behaved poodle, now. That poodle is glued to her side and so incredibly sweet. She goes to work with my mom every day. Mom, one of my sisters, and one of my brothers all have poodles from the same litter, and even though they live scattered across the country, when they all get together, it’s an absolute hoot. One of those brothers lives with our other brother, who has a golden retriever, and they get along so well. I have a smooth collie, and when my mom came with her poodle to spend a week with us recently they got along beautifully, too.

Thank you for sharing your story. I’m so glad that y’all have a sweet Golden.

Back