My border collie (6 y.o f) tries to herd my toddler (2 y.o m)

dragondriver

It’s all in the title. She tries to use the infamous “herding stare” on him to keep in areas she designates. Obviously, it doesn’t work. She’s not aggressive in the usual sense of the word, she doesn’t nip at him or get remotely close to biting, even if he is trying to yank her ears or poke her eyes. The most she’ll do is beat her teeth and let out a growl.

I don’t have a fear of her biting him, but is there anything I might be able to do to help her try and accept that he isn’t a herd-able animal?

They don’t play with toys together, but they do chase each other and give each other toys or treats. It’s a really interesting scenario to witness.

@dragondriver I have a 13 year old border collie. Had him since he was 6 months old. He herded all my kids, and even thier friends when they were around. Great dog.

You can teach them a lot, but I've never had success teaching a dog to ignore their bred- in instincts.

@dragondriver A barrier in between the pup and toddler should exist at all times without direct supervision to prevent the behaviors you don't want on both sides.

@eront I’m always within eyeshot of them. She is extremely well trained dealing with people, but I know there is always the bite risk. Whenever no one can be around they always separated by a gate at minimum.