It’s 6am. I’m terrified of what the night will bring

@theincrediblebaptistor I just got finished with my second round of panacur for my pup. And what I learned is timing on administering the dosage is absolutely key. She got super hyper on it, couldn't settle, wanted to destroy everything in reach, and refused to take a nap. The major mistake I made the first round was giving it with her dinner, which made sleep damn near impossible, and had the same issues your pup had in the crate at night. The second round I gave in the morning when I had more flexibility in helping her burn off the panacrazies.

So if you're dosing at night, try switching it to either breakfast or lunch. As for the crate issues, I'd recommend what everyone else is suggesting here: sleep downstairs the next few nights (the crazies lasted about 24-36 hours after her last dose both times), and then see how your pup does once the panacur is out of their system. And if the issues persist, take it back to the basics and try again. Sometimes puppies just regress and we have to start over

@theincrediblebaptistor We had a terrible reaction to a de wormer with our pup (different brand as we are in Aus). We’d given it to her when she was little but always in the morning - I had noted she was a real gremlin those days, but she was so little and new to us, and it was always on a day when she also had something else going on (vaccination, vet, etc). Then when she was about 5-6 months we gave her a dose at night (we just forgot in the morning) and oh my god. The screaming. The absolute screaming. For the entire night. If we let her out of the crate, she’d try to eat us or pace around anxiously. We put her back in. She’d scream. It was horrific. I never gave her that wormer again.

The good news from this is that her crate training was otherwise unaffected - she’s always been a terrible sleeper but there was no backslide after. Was a one off. You haven’t ruined everything from one night! But keep note of how pups behaviour is when the worming is over - I had many people tell me that the one we used wouldn’t cause that reaction but I am 100% certain it did. If pup improves off it, maybe try a different one next time.

@fadfaa Our cavapoo had a terrible reaction to Panacur- pacing, howling, restless for a week straight. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the cause.

@theincrediblebaptistor My puppy hated the crate and I never really had the heart to enforce it. I think I only tried it less than a week. After he had an accident in the crate at night I gave up and moved him to the bathroom with blankets, toys, and a smaller carrying case that he could sleep in. After a few weeks, my partner at the time let him sleep in the bed one night and that was the end of making him sleep on his own. It was the beginning however of him being a total love bug and becoming very snuggly. I would still use the bathroom to confine him for parts of the day - especially when trying to give him downtime. Eventually he got access to the whole apartment.

Now, he sleeps wherever he wants, and he will start the night on my bed, but is usually on the floor or in the bathroom for most of the night. Then jumps up for cuddles in the morning when I wake up.

I have a Dogwalker who uses the crate, and I understand he is fine with it when I go away for trips.

@theincrediblebaptistor I have a 6 month old that I’ve had for 3 months. I keep his crate in my room right next to the side of the bed I sleep on. I have it covered but in the beginning, I left it uncovered where he could see me. I also play a sound machine of thunderstorms and rain. He’d cry for a little bit and then pass out. Every time he sleeps (including naps) I’d put him in the crate and put on the sound machine. It’s to the point if I’m sitting on the couch and start to play the sound machine, he’ll slowly get sleepy and eventually just pass out next to me lol

He’s started to regress a little where he now starts to bark between 1:45-2:45am. In the beginning I’d get up and take him out until I realized that’s not why he was crying. I think he’s having nightmares? Do dogs have nightmares? Either way, I’ve learned the different barks and this one isn’t an “IM AWAKE COME TO MEEEEE LEMME OUT!” bark. It’s more of he’s sorta awake but if I leave him alone, he’ll go back to sleep. It’s been working and the time he’s spent barking has decreased. It was from about 10 minutes to 5 and now it’s just a little whimper and my Miguel is back to sleep for the night.

@prodiga Though I've had many dogs, I had never crate trained until our newest girl. I have a lab/border collie mix that needed to be able to see me at night, so her crate is just outside the door of my bedroom. She doesn't like the dark, either, so we use a nightlight and used tv or music for her at night until she started settling down. She's 3 now and uses her kennel as her safe space. Never have to lock her in and she sleeps with me, but when I try to put the crate away, she throws a tantrum and is out of sorts until I put it back. Goofy dog.

Another tip is to either take your pup on a long walk or play session and to do business right before bed. Good luck. You'll figure out the right pattern.

@theincrediblebaptistor We just slept in the livingroom where the crate was for about 3 weeks. I know that sounds extreme but it helped her feel comfy and less lonely. Then when she fell asleep we would leave and go to bed. Now she is fine all night in her crate. We do have a air purifier / white noise machine that we put on for her at night too.

Oh one other thing for the first 3 months we would play soothing dog music for her for about an hour before bed so she was very calm before going in

@feelinglost7896 Thank you! I’ll definitely try the soothing music and white noise that others have mentioned. Sleeping on the couch is going to be difficult, only because I have sleep apnea so I’m tethered to the wall myself 😂. But there’s a balance to make it more comfortable for him too.

@theincrediblebaptistor I did the same thing, and I also gave my puppy a heartbeat stuffed toy every night. I don’t know how much of the reason for my success was what I did vs my puppy’s personality, but she sleeps like a log in her crate every night now.

Edit: I never kept her crate in my bedroom, I just slept on the couch for a few weeks.

@theincrediblebaptistor Atleast try moving crate to bedroom at night or maybe even leave it there so he can sleep there in peace during the day. I had an oposite problem with my border collie, she wouldn’t settle if crate was near me so I moved it to my bedroom where she has peace and never had a problem again. And a benefit she sleeps right next to my bed during night and feels safe.
Don’t give up, puppies take time to adjust to new place and especially crate.
Another question, does a puppy get enough stimulation, mental and physical before crated?
Another question, do you have a routine settled or is every day random? (Waking up, feeding etc..). Dogs tend to follow routine and more you have random days more fucked up they get unfortunately!
Good luck and be strong!