Is peeling a dog’s paw pads normal?

@satanworshiper666 My dog has hypokeratosis (or hyper which ever one means too much) and her paw pads just shlopp off during walks all the time. Her vet told me it is permanent there is no cure and all I can do is make her wear booties and use paw salve on her paws as needed. Basically because she only eats seafood based food and treats she gets too much keratin or something and it makes her paw pads overproduce the protective layer that slopps off, making her paw pads look scaly and it makes them tear super easy. I make her do bed rest for three days ans carry to and from the couches bed and backyard as much as possible. One time it was so bad that walking through the dewy grass was too painful for her so I had to convince her to pee while I held her back legs so her paws didn’t touch the ground (she is too heavy to full lift and dangle). Not fun. Just make sure you wash the pads in cool running water and bandage them with I use bactrine spray but neosporin works too, and gauze held in place by ace bandages or coband. I hope that helps.

Back