If you had to choose one of these foods, what would you choose?

artemis153

Context: 2 dogs, 30ish lbs and 53 lbs.

Dog 1 has a chicken sensitivity that results in GI issues.

Dog 2…has a TBD sensitivity. Started with red skin on groin and sensitive, red paw pads because of licking. Got better when switched off of Kirkland Nature’s Domain, better with Iams Sensitive Skin/Stomach, and now after a month on Purina Pro Plan Lamb/Oat it is AWFUL (has gotten progressively worse). After looking at ingredients, I’m thinking Pea/Pea Protein is the cause (or canola oil+meal).

So I’m looking for a chicken free, pea free food. Ideally lower in yeast due to Dog #2’s predisposition for urate bladder stones.

If you had to choose between these foods (or if there’s another chicken free, pea free food you recommend I’m all ears!), what would you choose? I’m mainly concerned about brand reputation/safety/quality.

Options:

Instinct: Be Natural Salmon/Brown Rice

American Natural: Legume Free, Chicken Free, duck w butternut squash

Natural Balance: limited ingredient Salmon & Brown Rice

Taste of the Wild: Ancient Mountain w Ancient Grains

@artemis153 Sorry to say that looking at ingredients lists and eliminating stuff like peas or chicken or canola is not an effective way to address allergies. I 100% get the impulse, but very very few allergies are even food-related at all. 90%+ allergy symptoms are environmental and food will not help. Especially given the season -- so much more likely it's pollens or dust causing these issues.

You're looking at some pretty niche boutique diets that do not invest in research or expertise here in attempt to avoid peas, when that's pretty unlikely to be the problem. Even in dogs with true food allergies, it's extremely rare for those allergies to be to anything other than the meat protein. The liklihood of your dog having issues with canola are just vanishingly small.

I would recommend seeking out the support of a vet dermatologist to conduct a proper elimination diet and address those allergy symptoms. I'd ask about apoquel or cytopoint for your second pup while you're waiting on a dermatologist. That will provide relief without having rotating diets that probably won't work.

In the meantime, Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach salmon variety has no chicken or peas and has significantly more research behind it than any of the diets you've listed.

@sevilodorf Thank you for the response and honest feedback!

I know generally it’s not food allergies, but I’m not sure what allergens would have caused the initial response for dog #2 in the dead of winter with no pollen outside. And his skin issues have perfectly corresponded (within weeks) of when we changed food. His skin was actually getting better on Iams Sensitive Skin/Stomach this spring when allergens were spiking where I live (but neither dogs stools were great on it). It certainly could be some external allergen, but I’m stumped on what it could be. He’s a pit-sharpei mix, so very prone to skin issues/allergies.

Thank you for pointing out that Purina Pro Plan has a chicken free and pea free option, I’m not sure why that didn’t pop up during my searches. That will be an easy switch from their current Pro Plan!

@sevilodorf Yes I know - my friend’s dog is allergic is human dander (among other things) lol. It’s just odd that his skin improved on one food and deteriorated on another. We haven’t changed laundry detergents, or introduced any other new products in the house he’d be coming in contact with. If it is something environmental, it’s a really odd coincidence.

@artemis153 The only way to know is with a 8-12 week prescription elimination diet! I’ve done two and they’re a bit of a pain for two months, but at least then you know

@artemis153 You might need to go to the vet and set up an elimination diet for dog #2. That’s really the only way to figure out allergies unfortunately. You’d end up feeding a prescription diet and after several weeks add in potential allergens one at a time. If dog #2 can’t get to dog #1’s food you could feed them the Iams or PPP, whichever they did best on.

@shagsnacks Thanks! Last time I showed the vet his redness and irritated paws (early winter?) he didn’t seem too concerned, but it’s really escalated in recent weeks (started transitioning to PPP on 5/4). If it gets any worse and we’re not able to manage at home we’ll definitely head back to the vet, and maybe ask if one of the vets specializes in allergies.

Back