For those on a budget, what dna test do y’all choose?

@8786cypress Thank you. And I wouldn’t need money for a c section because my dog wouldn’t be pregnant, I was only gonna offer for my dog to breed with someone else’s. However, I am leaning more towards not doing it, or at least doing more research first

@marinaamz29 Get a mentor, & read! Read! READ! Go to dog shows and ask questions. Research your breed and its weaknesses’s. Find Actual cost of ALL the testing- Ask your veterinarian questions. … volunteer at a shelter and see what happens to unwanted animals... START there then in a year or two see if your dog qualifies/ and you’re still interested.

@marinaamz29 Genetic testing is just one part of health testing.

You can find out what health testing is necessary on the OFA website. Many breeds require hip and elbow X-rays, echocardiograms, etc.

@marinaamz29 I absolutely recommend looking into the Functional Dog Collaborative. They have a website, podcast, and Facebook Group. It is extremely informative and will help you learn a lot about why it is important to breed dogs ethically.

Genetic tests are great to have, but there are things that a genetic test can not tell you. It can't judge your dog's thyroid, heart, knees, or hips. These require indepth tests that do cost money. Look at your breed club, and they should list the recommended tests for your breed. Nobody can tell if a dog is a good breeding candidate without doing these tests.

There is A LOT that goes into breeding dogs responsibly, and it requires a lot of effort. Overall, your goal should be to reduce suffering in everybody. Some examples are:

.Making sure the puppies you produce are healthy and don't suffer from physical issues.
.Making sure the puppies don't suffer from psychological issues.
.Making sure the people who buy these puppies will take good care of them.
.Making sure the people who buy these puppies have a lifestyle that matches the puppy.
.Making sure none of the puppies you produce end up without a home. You (usually the owner of the female) MUST make sure they chip the puppies and always take them back.

Responsible breeding is hard, so before deciding to do this, look into the Functional Dog Collaborative. They are very informative and amazing. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

@marinaamz29 Depends, does your breed need full panel? Wisdom and Embark panels often include tests for things that aren’t relevant to your breed. You can purchase individual tests from places like GenSol and PawPrint genetics. On the flip side for my breed GSD the panels don’t include pituitary dwarfism, but you can get it on Paw Print Genetics.

@marinaamz29 No worries, I often just buy the individual tests first DM when I’m testing a litter of pups. Most times you get a discount for buying more than one, especially around this time of year.