How to know if it's too much or too little exercise (newly adopted dog)

Hey all,

So I recently adopted a dog and, as I'm sure a lot of first time dog owners are, I'm worried about whether I'm providing enough or too much exercise for my boy. Shelter said he is a Catahoula mix, so I know he has a big exercise requirement, but he is also almost 7 years old so I don't want to be overly taxing on him due to me overcompensating.

He always seems ready to go on walks, and I've been doing 4 walks a day, each averaging about 25-30ish minutes (with a few minutes of those being jogging until I get tired...), and he always comes inside and seems to be really tired, but within an hour or two seems ready to go again.

If I was overexercising him, is it safe to assume his excitement for going outside would diminish?

For the time being (it's only been 3 days of having him) is this an appropriate amount of activity until he trusts me enough to do mental training, and eventually more "freeing" types of activity where he can open up in to full sprints, etc?

I guess my question really boils down to, What are some of the signs I should look for to know that I'm providing enough but not too much exercise in the early stages of ownership while trust is still being built.

EDIT: Dog Tax

@chosenbeforetime the golden rule: a tired dog is a happy dog. i think walking is a great trust-building tool - carry some treats with you, have your dog do simple things like "sit" so that you can reward him with a treat, etc.

i don't know where you live, but it is crazy hot here - so you might need to look into heat exhaustion. my dog is always eager to go out, but she can't even go a full block without stopping bc she is so heat sensitive

@loraccw Yeah it's pretty hot here too. He starts panting almost immediately, but seems to always be pulling to go further (leash manners are one of the first things I plan to work on but it's pretty early to begin training I've been told.)

@chosenbeforetime You should begin training right away, though only with positive reinforcement until you have bonded and established trust. You will want to start with simple things like leash manners and high-value rewards for passing other dogs immediately. If he has tendencies for leash aggression you might not see it from him until he has settled in with you in a few weeks, so now is the time to work preventatively.

Everything is new for him now, he is as blank a slate as he will ever be.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yeah I've tried to lightly incorporate some training, but he definitely seems to have a lot of trust issues right now and I feel I came pretty close to spoiling the click-> reward association, so I slowed it down a bit. He definitely has lunging tendancies, not sure if it's leash-aggression or just very interested, so I want to get over that fast, but don't want to start too early and accidentally reinforce bad behaviors.

I know this isn't /r/Dogtraining, but is there a risk of either devaluing treats (the only thing he even cares about right now is cooked chicken, ignores all other treats) or spoiling future training attempts by starting it too early? I know he's a blank slate, but I've also heard a lot that it's wasted effort/extra stressful since he still doesn't really know me.

@chosenbeforetime Have you looked into basic training classes for you both? Petsmart offers some, but those are usually basic training, which your dog needs obviously. But you have bigger questions in raising an older dog with a little bit of trust issues. I would seek a more experienced trainer.

How is he with other dogs, maybe you could take him to a dog park for some off leash exercise. That would really get his mind working because he could be with other dogs and you could train him to come back to you with your high value chicken treats.

If he is good with other dogs, but having trouble with people you might look into dog daycare so he can be around new people and learn to relax in new environments.

I'm not a trainer. And you should ask the dog training sub. I worked dog daycare for a decade, andim a dog groomer now, so I work on training dogs in that setting.

Dog daycare is not usually training focused, but some are.

You seem like a great dog owner.

Have you gotten him to a veterinarian yet? He should get a physical, to asses his exercise needs. Make sure hes not in pain from over exercise. Which is why I reccomend the dog interaction. I would get older dogs in who would mostly lay around all day, but the mental stimulation from smells and watching other dogs was great for keeping them healthy!

Sorry for all the questions

@tracey4g
Have you looked into basic training classes for you both? Petsmart offers some, but those are usually basic training, which your dog needs obviously. But you have bigger questions in raising an older dog with a little bit of trust issues. I would seek a more experienced trainer.

I've just begun to research local trainers. Some basic behavioral stuff he's okay with (will sit, starting to learn come) but it's very hard to get his attention once on a leash, so I definitely think I'm going to need someone's help haha.

How is he with other dogs, maybe you could take him to a dog park for some off leash exercise. That would really get his mind working because he could be with other dogs and you could train him to come back to you with your high value chicken treats.

If he is good with other dogs, but having trouble with people you might look into dog daycare so he can be around new people and learn to relax in new environments.

On a leash, he pulls very heavily towards other dogs, and stands at attention when he notices them. I haven't let him get close enough to find out whether it's aggression or not, as I don't feel I have enough control to break his attention yet, so didn't want to risk it.

You seem like a great dog owner.

Thanks, I'm just hoping I didn't bite off more than I could chew. I felt I could handle exercise and training leash manners, but the shynss cranks that difficulty up like 4x. :/

Have you gotten him to a veterinarian yet? He should get a physical, to asses his exercise needs. Make sure hes not in pain from over exercise.

That's this week's goal is to get that scheduled, haven't got him in yet other than whatever the shelter's vet assessment was, which was mostly just the normal check for parasites, vacc etc.

@chosenbeforetime Just some advice as a dog owner and many years of group experience.

My dogs are terrible on leashes around other dogs. They will be at the end of their leashes barking and generally showing bad behavior (yes I know that is terrible, and I should have worked with them sooner)

However when I take them to work, or let them off leash at a park, they are fine. They get into that pack mentality.

I understand your apprehension, but it can be really good for him to gain trust with you.

If you have any friends that your dog knows well that also has a dog just meet up naturally in a walking space and take a walk to the dog park together. Somewhere your dog doesn't feel "territorial" over and let it happen naturally.

I hope the best for you guys, hes got a great owner and I'd love an update in a few weeks!

@tracey4g Be experienced as you want. A dog theyve had less than a week doesnt belong off leash at a dog park.

You bringing a new dog to the daycare, where you know what dogs are easy greeters, have control of the space and is fenced is not the same thing.

ETA: if you took a new dog to a dog park you would also be present with your 13 years of experience. OP is a new owner. Theres a lot of difference there.

@chosenbeforetime i agree - right now, he's still getting settled in, and it can take months for a dog to fully settle. do you have a harness for him? that way, if he's determined to pull, he can't hurt his trachea. when i can, i take my dog out 4 times a day. when it is this hot, i do more walks but shorter duration. and, just remember, you are in control. if your dog is pulling to go further but you feel it's just too hot, then you go home, and go back out later.

@loraccw I just got a harness today, hopefully he'll let me put it on him. The shelter gave me a punch collar (bleh :/) and a martingale since they said he's a puller. I used the pinch for a day, felt real bad and have used the martingale the second day until I could get the harness.

Back