How should I greet my dog when I get home?

@ashleyisshort I told my dad SO many times to not let my dog jump on her, and he didn’t listen and now she jumps all over him every time and he doesn’t like it anymore 😑

I wouldn’t have any problems with jumping if my dad had just listened to me….oh well! He’s never been a great listener

@adriennelisa Ignore him while he’s excited. You can set a toy near the door and hand him that as you come in. Some dogs really like having something in their mouth when they greet people so teaching them to grab something appropriate helps. But other than that, only pay attention to the behaviors you want, so ignore him until he’s calmer.

@adriennelisa Not a weird question. The basic rule upon returning home is to walk in quietly without looking at your dog. Don’t speak and walk calmly and slowly to whatever room you typically enter. Keep your hands high and turn away calmly from any jumping. Only when your dog is quiet and sitting for pats, quietly let him know he’s a good boy and then get on with things. Believe it or not, this approach works if you’re consistent. If you enter with a happy energy to see your dog, he’ll feed on that energy and get ramped up. Practice being calm! Good Luck!

@adriennelisa Just walk in and ignore him until he’s calm doing whatever behavior you’d prefer (in his bed, crate, sitting and asking for pets etc) then give him a pet and say hello

@adriennelisa I don‘t look at her untile I put my keys back, took my coat off, take my shoes off and then she get‘s attention. If she jumps I give her a sign to stop. She throws herself on her back for belly scartches she‘s getting then.

@adriennelisa I ignore my dogs both when I leave the house and when I come home. No fanfare, no excitement. They are large dogs and excitement around leaving/coming home is a non-starter. I come home, put my things away, change clothes, whatever I need to do then I greet them after they've gone to their beds.

Sometimes they don't even bother to get up. Lol.

@adriennelisa You can try offering a toy for him to take, they are just very happy and excited to see you they just struggle expressing it in a way that we desire.
at first when my dog was a teenage I would turn around and ignore him but it didn't seem to help so I started putting toys in his mouth, and he kind of just stands around and follows me with a wiggly butt now.
and he's a staffy, they get very excited it.
But my dog also gets alot of mental stimulation whilst I'm not home, like leaving stuff for them to do, a daily routine which has helped his behaviour.

@adriennelisa I ignore mine at first. Then I'll walk around the house and look for tipped over trash cans (she was a street dog and thinks of trash as dinner). If everything is good she gets a good girl and a tummy rub, if there's a mess she gets one bad dog and ignored while i clean it. Now she waits and watches pretty calmly and hasn't had a bad dog in months. It took her a while to learn what good girl really meant, and i don't use it when just talking to her - only when she does something right, and she's so incredibly happy when she hears it. Dunno if this is all technically correct, but it's worked for us. My other girl is more like yeah, whatever, you're home, come pet me.

@adriennelisa It did take a bit, and some rescues are really timid, a strong harsh bad dog would send mine hiding in the yard. She really had to learn that i wouldn't hit her so my one 'bad dog' is very calm. Ignoring her is plenty effective. But her joy when she's a good dog and knows it is soo sweet. Lidded trash cans help.

@adriennelisa Trainer said to ignore dog until the unwanted behavior stops. No saying NO. No drop everything to pet it. Just do what you normally do when you get home. When the dog settles (and sits) praise and pet the hell out of it. 😀

@adriennelisa Ignore him and walk away until he calms down. When he calms down then you can pet him, tell him good boy or hello, and stay calm while talking to him. Talking in a high pitched fast voice and being energetic will make him more prone to being overly excited when you come home or even get separation anxiety.

@adriennelisa One of My dogs loved his crate. I guess it was mainly for he could eat real bones only there, didn't want bloody mess everywhere.

I kinda just dropped using them. All of my dogs learned to behave at home soon enough. And always lived with enough rooms so I could separeta them If needed.

Some work breeds might have more use for cages.