How should I greet my dog when I get home?

@righteousbyfaith Why are you judging people who are using a totally safe and effective way of training/boarding? Do what works best for you, but don't judge someone on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

@righteousbyfaith You received an informative kind response but you keep asking the same question. Why do you believe creating your dog when you’re not home is a bad thing? It sounds like they’re keeping their dog quite safe by crating them. When your dog is properly crate trained, they like their crate, it’s their safe space. Can you help us understand what you’re not understanding, or are you intentionally being obtuse?

I don’t have to lock my dog in a crate anymore when I leave my home, but his crate has never been put away, because when he needs a safe quiet space, he goes and lays in it and has his entire life. My point being, crates are very safe and effective in training your dog and when done right your dog will have comfort when you’re gone in their crate.

@righteousbyfaith @righteousbyfaith My dog is almost 15 years old and she can be found in her kennel 95% of the time because she feels safe there and she can get in and out of it rather easily.

Most dogs like their kennel because it is a safe space for them to have some quiet time and not be bothered by other animals in the home or kids. Just because you don't need it or like it, doesn't make it bad for other people.

@righteousbyfaith My older dog gets anxiety diarrhea when we leave. The only thing that makes him feel safe and secure is being in his crate/kennel. He goes into it to nap by himself during the day, with the door open. It’s his den. Our puppy will be crate trained as well.

@adriennelisa Yup, but why have it in a crat when leaving the house, it seems a bit cruel. I used a kennel for potty training at night, but we wouldn't have a puppy if we couldn't make the area safe for it. Like one that is hopefully at least room sized. I might be oversensitive to it, my aunt just kept her dogs in a kennel for most of the day and night for no reason

@jellybug78 It's genuinely a safety thing. I would rather have my puppy in a crate than getting into something he shouldn't have and dying. Crate training is effective, smart, safe, and the right thing to do for many people.

To answer the OP, I ignore my pups too- when I first get home and right before I leave. Making it the least stressful or exciting thing possible reduces anxiety around it and minimizes bad behaviors.

@ladycherise63 Yes I’ve seen and met people who’s dogs separation anxiety were so bad that they would destroy the house if not in their crate. Like tearing up furniture and walls. They are forced to relax while in their crate. It’s safe.

@righteousbyfaith Many puppies and rescue dogs go through a period of separation anxiety. They view their owners as their adoptive parents and rely on you for comfort and security(look this up it’s an actual study with pets and their owners releasing dopamine similarly to with their babies). The same way you crate you puppy at night when you’re not there to take them out to potty the same is done during the day. Not only separation anxiety but destructive behavior, anxiety from loud noises or flashes, overstimulation, a time out to calm down if rowdy or stressed, and many more depending on the dog. Zoos and other safe research-based sanctuaries do the same with crates by covering up the crate with a blanket to help calm down animals while they are temporarily in there. This is stimulating a calm environment as if they are in their den in the wild.

My dog had a bit of separation anxiety and was very very energetic as a puppy(she still is but knows to settle indoors). She was so energetic she would fight sleeping so I would have to arrange mandatory nap times by stimulating her crate to be dark by putting a blanket over it. She grew her independence as well over time by not being around me every second of the day. She is now 2 and has full access to the house including her new large 42 inch crate with a memory foam mattress and blanket. She will go wherever she wants and if I tell her to go to her crate she will willingly go.

No matter how puppy proof you home is a dog can get into anything when they are bored or upset. Same way you don’t leave a baby unattended you don’t leave a puppy unattended. Same for kitten and other species. They will be in a play pen for their own safety. Research the things we’ve mentioned to gain a better understanding. This is no way cruel. I know in certain places in Europe it’s a bit controversial to crate dogs but this is backed up by research across the globe.

@meown1 Your own tasks. If I go straight to my dogs kennel she goes nuts. It's cute af and makes me happy but it gets obnoxious when she starts doing laps around the house and knocking things over.

Now when I get home from work I acknowledge her but don't let her out. I take my hat off, change my shoes, put my lunch tupperware away, go upstairs and wash up, then go let her out. We then immediately go outside so she can go potty, then from there immediately go to the garage to get her dinner.

After she eats she gets a bunch of attention and a half hour or so later we go out to throw the ball or take a long walk.

I've noticed a night and day difference in how excited she gets once we established this routine.

@randy777 I do that in the morning when I wake up too, and she never tries to wake me up before I’m ready. Kind of to a fault? She won’t make any noise, even if she REALLY has to pee. She just sits to signal “bathroom” as if I can see her when my eyes are closed 😓

I don’t even know how to encourage her to be more demanding when she really needs to go…the most she’s ever done is lick my toe just once

@meown1 I had the same issue and had to break the cycle in the mornings and wake up earlier for a few weeks to retrain it. She knows what potty means so I'd ask her "have to go potty?!" And when she'd bark in response I'd praise her. Now she will bark if she has to go and I'm not acknowledging her quiet signal. I also only ever praised her for barking to signal potty while she was in the kennel, when she's outside of the kennel I try to ignore her barking so she doesn't continue doing it. We've had pretty good success with it.

@randy777 I think I need to train her to bark in general. She won’t even bark if she needs rescuing, like the time she got trapped in my neighbor’s yard

@adriennelisa Yep, everyone here is correct. You ignore until they're calm.

Your affection is the reward. They'll start realizing, 'if I do this, I get pets' so they'll do it more quickly over time.

If I need mine to calm down more quickly, I'll usually direct her to get her toy and go to a designated spot with the command 'place'.

This is the main thing when you have a dog that does the excited pee. Gotta get them calm first.. Like you coming home is no big deal, just a normal part of the day. This also works wonders for separation anxiety.

And anybody who comes over should do the same - just let them know the rules of walking in the door and greeting. If they say, oooh, I don't mind if they're crazy. You say, 'This is about her remaining calm and not being overstimulated which gives her more confidence and I need your help with that.'