How should I greet my dog when I get home?

@adriennelisa I love greeting my dog with cuddles and excitement. What I quickly learned is that she greets everyone this way—even non-dog people. Jumps into their laps, kisses them all over…It leads to awkward situations when you have guests over haha

The past 6 months, I’ve purposely not engaged when she jumps, licks, etc. (i look straight up at the ceiling and freeze). But once she sits at my feet, i then pet her and give her love. What I’ve noticed now, she runs up to me all excited and sits patiently for me to engage first. This has improved how she greets my guests and also total strangers at the park. It’s been a godsend. That way she still greets people excitedly who reach out and pet her, but those that do not, they aren’t being attacked endlessly by kisses.

@adriennelisa I always say “Hey Buddy, what’s up” or “Dude, move or I’m gonna step on you”. At night I tell him “Night night buddy. Love you and see you in the morning”. As expected, he does not give a shit. 🤷🏻‍♀️

@adriennelisa We have a designated greeting spot on our rug. She goes, sits there, wags her stub, and then we get down to her level (very small min pin/chi mix) and say hello to her in a calm voice. We keep our voice calm so she doesn’t get too amped up and by squatting down she knows she’s allowed to go into our laps or put her paws on us. We do not tolerate her jumping on us when we get home so this seems to be a great way to redirect her energy.

@adriennelisa I immediately put my stuff down and go to the restroom when I get home from school (the bathrooms at my school are nasty the gender neutral restroom is fine but there’s only one and people go in there to have sex and I’d rather not piss myself waiting for people to stop making out so I can Pee.) I suggest grabbing a toy for your pup before you leave to keep in the car then when you’re walking in to the house and your dog starts getting really silly just give the dog a toy and go do something else for like 5 to 10 minutes

@adriennelisa The best way is to not get to involved with him while he's over excited. Don't completely blank him as that is taking things to extremes but engage with him when he shows you a behaviour that you like.

If he comes over and jumps all over you then it's too exciting so turn away or move away a little and ask him for what you want him to do. To simply sit (though that's tough for an excited pup) get a toy, so that you can reward a good job.

They need something to do with all that energy.

This type of training should be done at times when you are at home so that you can set him up to pass. Plan times to leave for a short time just so that you can return for good practice.

He's happy to see you and that's lovely but he just needs to learn to calm it down a little 🥰

Hope this helps 🙂

@adriennelisa I dont have a problem with him being extremely excited, but being mouthy or jumping up to people is a nono.
Usually i greet him in a normal way after opening the door, but send him to his bed next room. If he stays there until i put away my keys, jacket etc. i walk over to greet him physically and go cuddle-ish pet-ish.

I think its important so he doesnt immediatly assaults guest that maybe could get scared by a mouthy or jumping dog.

@adriennelisa My dog doesn’t get wildly excited to the point of mouthing or jumping anymore (she’s gonna be 9) but I just ask her for a sit and then give her all the kisses. (Basically the “four on the floor” rule)

Or I throw her on a leash immediately and take her right outside cuz I just got home from work and she’s gotta pee lol

@adriennelisa I love my dogs and personally love when I come home and they are as excited to see me. I usually sit down with mine and calm them down with some scratches or petting them. Letting them feel like I’m here I’m not leaving. And they start to relax rather quickly. Then I offer them a treat. They behaved rather quickly. But I’m sure all pets are different.