How much would you charge for this beautiful boy?

cazamal

Hey everyone! this is my first model for my training qualifications. He's a 50lb. Husky (smaller than normal I know.) He's a very good boy and his owners keep his coat in very good condition. he realistically would take me about 1 hour from bath to dry, but the dryer at the self wash station SUCKED, so it took 1 hour just to dry him.

I'm an hourly worker so I have no idea what prices would be for someone like him if I were to do my own thing one day. How much would this guy go for based on what I said?

https://preview.redd.it/rk2tzvgn4pn...bp&s=61392378c510ab6ab5a334626540e2860706f961

@cazamal Not necessarily, the fact that he is a bigger “husky” and has a wooly coat and not the standard shorter coat should effect the price. A wooly coat takes more work to wash/dry/brush out. If I were in your shoes I would charge more for a dog like him vs a standard husky.

@cazamal Just some added info in case you were curious. Not a groomer, but I'm a lifelong siberian husky owner who currently has a wooly. A wooly husky's coat results from a recessive gene. It is absolutely a breed flaw, but they can still be lovely pups (though any breeder that breeds for woolies should raise all sorts of red flags). There are generally three variations of a husky coat... short, plush, and wooly. Plush is the breed standard. Short is generally preferred in working lines. Male huskies top out at about 60lbs, so that's a normal size.

You'll notice that his outer coat is softer than a standard coat. It is much less weatherproof without the coarse guard hairs. It will absorb more water and take longer to dry. Without regular maintenance, they'll mat pretty quickly, especially if they get wet. I usually ask my groomer for a bath, dry, brush/deshedding, sanitary trim (very helpful with the long fur), and an outline trim (debris is a real problem). Hope you might find some of this info useful!

@cazamal Our husky grooms start at 80 and go up depending on severity of deshed and if they added any additional services. I’m located in SE Georgia

@cazamal $66 for a basic bath, $80 for a deshed. He is definitely longer coat than a normal just, but I don't know why people are saying that 50lbs is bigger than most huskies. Mine is 58 lbs and is a pure breed male.

@cazamal I think for a basic bath and brush anything from 50 to 60 is fair. Than if they did a deshed treatment add on an additional 30. That's how we do ours and it feels fair. Big dogs are more work and more risk.

@cazamal When I left grooming 2 years ago, I would have charged $90-120 @ $60/hr. If I was still in grooming, it would be $105-$140 @ $70/hr. My prices were "high" because I didn't want to rely on tips so I charged accordingly.

@cazamal $65 or so for a full service bath base price + $11 deshed. If blowing out with a good high velocity dryer still takes forever we sometimes charge and extra hairy fee which can vary but is usually around $10. So $76-86 or so? If they get mail grind or paw pads shaved out or something those are a little extra too

@cazamal 100 only cause I have a hard time charging my worth. Really should be more like 120-140 I do tend to give a small discount if the owners stay on a 4-5 week schedule

@cazamal Based on his weight and coat type, I would charge $50. This is assuming his coat is in good condition and my general bathing process deshedded and detangled him. If I needed to do more work, then I charge at a rate of $50/hr in addition to the base price.

Back