How many times have you accidentally cut your dog's quick?

@zabu this wouldn’t grind down their dew claws, you should probably check those as even if your dog ran 100 miles a day you still need to trim her dew claws regularly or she could be in serious pain

@oilandgas Her dew claws don’t actually seem to grow for some reason, and never touch the ground, even when she’s lying down on a hard surface. I don’t understand it, and I do check her feet out regularly, but I’ve never had to do anything with them at all.

@zabu I'm jealous. I'm not sure how far I'd have to walk my dog, but 3-4 miles on pavement every day is nowhere close to being enough to stop his nails from growing longer. His nails grow freakishly fast.

@saralynn1 Vet Tech here. Don't beat yourself up, it happens!

I've been doing this twenty plus years, and just last week nicked the quick on my mom's dog. They were overgrown, which didnt help, but they're usually fine

This is why I greatly prefer using a Dremel on dogs nails. They can be loud and a bit scary, but you can take your time and acclimate them. I use a $25 black and decker Dremel. Don't buy the ones advertised for pets nails. They're usually junk

Usually a Dremel can get them shorter and smoother, and you're not doing a blunt cut which reduces the chance of hitting the quick

@saralynn1 I trim my dog’s nails regularly and sometimes cut a tiny bit too much and he bleeds (he’s got black nails). To stop the bleeding, I dip that nail in plain (all purpose) flour which clots it immediately and stops the bleeding. Don’t feel bad - it can easily happen - especially if they aren’t cooperative. I’m sure you love your doggie as much as I love mine, and would never intentionally hurt them - but accidents happen. It can be very tricky.

@saralynn1 Touch wood I’ve never cut my dogs quick but I’m always scared I will! (I also have a yellow lab with light coloured nails- I think I’d struggle with dark nails that small!)

I only ever trim my dog’s nails when she’s happily chilling lying down and isn’t bothered by me playing with her feet. Any time she gets fidgety I give up, even if I haven’t don’t anything, or got halfway through a foot.

I follow the measure twice, cut once rule and look at the back of the nails where you can see the “hollow” bit and where the quick starts. I find it’s a lot easier to trim about half the amount I think I need to and then take off tiny slivers of nail to get it to the right length. I try to take her for a walk on concrete or tarmac afterwards to file off the sharp edges a bit.

She’s good now she’s older, lazier and doesn’t care about the clippers anymore but as a puppy it could take me 2 weeks to get round all her nails by waiting until she was relaxed enough for me to try clipping one or two then stopping when she got fidgety.

If it helps to get both you and your dogs confidence back a bit, start regularly trimming her nails but only taking the tiniest sliver off the tip- I think there’s a skill to getting the clippers at the right angle so you’re taking off the amount you want.

Hope that helps! Sounds like you’re taking really good care of your dog!

@saralynn1 Groomer here. You rarely need to trim the back nails. Unless the dog is old/not moving around much usually the back nails get ground down. You can snip just the sharp tip, and don't do them every time you do the front.

Back