[Fluff] Does your country have dog naming "rules"?

@ginaxmill Right?! It sounded totally implausible and pointless, so I looked it up. The sources I found all say it is so that the age of the animal is readily apparent. Which also makes no sense to me. So many questions on this one.

@moej I honestly didn't know it was only concerning France/Belgium, for me every body did that [sup]^[/sup]
My dogs never have pedigree but we always named them by the letter if the year they are/were born. By the way finding names at some letter can be sooooo difficult ! X)

@moej In Canada we don’t have any particular naming conventions, aside from avoiding naming your dog anything considered vulgar or inappropriate (which is common sense anyway).

I’ve seen a lot of American dogs on PetFinder who have names like Gunner, Sniper, Trigger, Bullet, Bomb, etc. - those names would be generally considered to be in poor taste here.

@moej This is crazy. I have two dogs, Shadow and Summer and two cats,Shade and Spooky but that's because of a tradition I have of naming my pets with S.
My country has no naming rules that I know of.

@moej Some breeders in the US 🇺🇸 give puppies a registry name that often reflects their lineage. It's just on paper though. Owners typically give them their common names

@moej That’s crazy but also super interesting! I live in the U.S. and we have zero rules about naming pets. Individual breeders will sometimes require owners to use a certain word in the dog’s registered name, as a way to help them track their litters. But the “call name” can be completely unrelated to the registered kennel name.

@moej In the United States there are no dog naming rules. However, to register with AKC there are. Example... To register my Dogo. ( she's actually a mix ) they said her name, Rosie, would have to be Rosie II.