FIL got my dogs pork femurs for Christmas but hesitant to give it to them

nursedi71

They seem hard and not sure if it’s safe. Idk if this link is the exact brand but it’s pretty much the same

Should I just toss or is it fine for a Christmas treat?

@nursedi71 Gave these (or very similar product) to both dogs ~9yr male ~80lbs each. They chewed them up quickly and ate them before we could remove them from their possession. Threw up lots of bone shards and what I'm guessing were cartilage pieces, not shortly after. Probably depends on size/breed of dog and chewing abilities.

@iileonlaw This is what happened with my dog too. She was casually throwing up for a couple days because she didn’t know when to stop chewing on it. Ended up throwing the rest of them out cause I didn’t want to keep cleaning up puke lol

@tdselector I give bones, but I don't give bones from legs or other carrying bones or whatever you want to call it due to how easily it can damage the dogs teeth, so ribs and other softer bones is better in my experience, I also give my husky frozen meat to chew on and she absolutely loves it

@everest The problem I have with this is that anything soft enough for me to indent with my fingernail is soft enough for my dog to chew it up in approximately 0.5 seconds.

Granted, I've always had big dogs. My current ones - 70 and 80 pounds - are the smallest dogs I've ever had.

@peaceloving Mine said something about if it's hard enough that you wouldn't want to get hit in the head with it, it could fracture a tooth. The fingernail test seems more reliable.

@peaceloving Based on this rule, my black lab would very literally not be allowed to have toys. Everything is either too hard, or a direct risk to his life because he can destroy it and swallow it.

Thankfully, every vet I've ever spoken to agrees that nylabones are perfectly safe until they get worn down to a swallowable size.

@peaceloving Okay I'll go get some! I don't expect positive results, though.

He was effectively removed from both Barkbox SuperChewer and BullyMake because they didn't have anything he couldn't destroy. I spent more time on the phone with the rep getting free warranty toys than he did destroying them. They said, "there's nothing we can do for you. If a product tester spot opens, we will let you know." Got about $200 in free toys from each, though.

@nursedi71 Our vet advised against bones because 1) threat to harm their teeth 2) could consume shards that are harmful in digestion. They loved them since they’re a natural food, but we stopped giving to them at the point.

@christianayling Yeah bones tend to shatter and fragment, especially femurs. It’s way better to get like a skin or a composite bone that won’t shatter, but will just get soft when they chew or bite it. Or something similar to greenies