Feeling like a failure - reactive doggo

Repost from r/dogs - was told my a fellow redditor to come to you guys! So here we go:

Hey Reddit Family! I ask that you guys approach my post with kindness as I’m feeling very frustrated, sad, and helpless. I have 2 dogs 11M and 6F. Both are adopted. The 11 year old male gives me no problems at all and has been my pet for the last 9 years. He is friendly with other dogs and people and has no signs of aggression. He loves long walks, car rides, the park and going to the backyard. My 6 year old female is giving me a lot of problems. I adopted her 1 year ago. This is where I’m begging for you guys not to tear me apart in the comments please. I adopted her from pet finder. Her owners dropped her off shortly and I’ve had her since. She spent the first month hiding under our beds, growling at us, refusing to let us pet her or take her outside or eat from our hands. We gave her space and let her come to us and let her use our backyard for her bathroom needs until we can figure how to get a leash on her without losing our fingers. Over time she would slowly come up to me and we developed a loving bond. She has become very attached to me and my other pet. She allows me to pet her, play with her, listens to my commands, learned new commands and etc. I am grateful that she is still vaccinated since I’ve adopted her although she needs to be updated on 2 of them (not rabies) soon. It’s been a year and there are several things I have not been able to get her to do:
1. I still cannot get a leash on her. She has a collar and harness. She will absolutely bite me if I attempt to put either on. I recently got one of those leashes that can loop around an aggressive dog’s neck but I’m still too frightened to try it. This means… in the year I’ve had her: I’ve only successfully had less than 10 walks, 0 vet visits (couldn’t get her in the building), 0 grooming visits (groomers rejected her. Washing her myself now).
2. I finally am able to wipe her hind paws and one front paw (and not the other…) with paw wipes. From the beginning I could not even poke her foot. She would bite. So wiping 3 paws out of 4 is a HUGE step for me. Despite being able to wipe them I can’t cut her nails.
3. I am finally able to wash her without a muzzle. Getting a muzzle on her is a disaster to begin with. But I’m unable to groom her AT ALL. Her fur is now soooooo long that I’m embarrassed. Leaves, snow, poop, mud and etc. constantly get stuck and pulling them out becomes a dangerous game of trying not to get bitten. Don’t get me started about her nails. I’m looking into sedative grooming with a vet as she’s been turned down by local groomers.

My post is more so for encouragement. She’s not my first dog. I’ve been with dogs since I was in diapers. I love her. I refuse to give her up. She’s shown improvement since ive gotten her. She went from ignoring and growling at my other dog to cuddling him and sharing her toys. All of the groomers who’ve attempted to groom her all tell me she exhibits signs of a history of abuse (crouching down when someone tries to pet her, tail tucked, very afraid of men, touching certain areas of her body triggers her, etc.). Any words of encouragement, advice or personal experience would be much appreciated.

TLDR: I adopted a dog who’s aggressive and I’m at my wits end.

@blesseddaughteroflight You have already shown her SO much patience and kindness, and while they are in little ways, she has shown you that it’s working. You can wipe her paws! You can give her a bath! She does her business outside and she comes back inside! You can pet her! She listens to you! Congrats to you both!

As another commenter said, I think step 1 is call vet and ask for sedatives for an appointment. Take care of nails, vaccinations, exam, etc while she is either all the way knocked out or just super loopy, rule out anything medical. Can they start her on some long term daily anti anxiety meds?

How is she with your other dog? I feel like seeing him act like the average pet is super helpful to her too. Our first dog is terrified of most things and people, but once we got her a very confident and outgoing sister she realized “hey all these other people want to give pets and attention too, they must not be too terrible.”

@totallylovedbygod I’m considering having her on daily Prozac or something so definitely something I need to discuss. I did a televisit and the vet send me a few things. First Benadryl. My dog somehow got even more hyper on it. So I was sent another med and she got even more aggressive. Last one was gabapentin with trazadone. She’s loopy but still is reactive if I try to leash her and get her in her kennel.

She’s amazing with my other dog. She started off aggressive with him but she loves him not and never bites him. I have to remind my 11 year old (he’s hyper, strong and very active even at his age) to be gentle with her. They share toys without getting upset. They play and love to sleep together and she’s so affectionate with him. She’s also learned so much from him. Sometimes I try to brush my 11 year old in front of her, groom him, clip his nails, put his leash on and etc. to show her he’s so happy and not hurt. I also let her smell our grooming tools while I do that. I actually place her leash next to her food bowl!

@blesseddaughteroflight Aww that’s wonderful! Your boy is a great role model haha.

My overly anxious girl is on daily doggy Prozac. She has never been aggressive, just anxious to the point of hurting herself. It wasn’t instant magic, but meds have helped her immensely, to the point that we were able to work with her and train her instead of just doing damage control.

She has clonidine and Trazodone for situations (like going to the vet), they make her super loopy too and she’s still clearly nervous, but only for a few hours and it’s just so she’s not a danger to herself at the vet.

@totallylovedbygod How much Trazodone do you give your dog for those situations? I’m working with our vet and a 100mg tablet doesn’t really do anything for my 50lb. dog. The vet said I can try 2 tablets but I’m hesitant.

@dragonite She’s about 50lb, the Trazodone pills are 100mg and clonodine is .3mg. Last time she got 2 clonodine and 1 trazodone and was so loopy the techs were like “aww are you super high?” haha, but the vet said she could still have one more of each because she was still pretty terrified.

When we got home she just sat on her bed and stared at me for like an hour. I felt a little bad, but the vet assured me she’d recover quickly and a few hours of being loopy is better than her being traumatized by going in unmedicated.

@blesseddaughteroflight You sound so far from a failure - look what you've accomplished with her! You saved her from likely abuse!

I'm gonna be honest with you - idgaf about grooming. It's not worth it to me if it's too distressing for my dog right now. I cut his mats out with scissors and yeah, he looks a little crazy, but he's mentally much more stable so it's worth it.

I'd focus on two things if i were you:
  1. Getting her into a vet with a preferably fear-free experience. In my country we have vets that make home visits, can you see if that's an option for you? Another idea would be to ask to be given a sedative pill that you can give her at home, and then bring into the office while already sedated. My vet also offers to cut nails if full sedation has already been done. Have him check everything he can - make sure the reactivity isn't also caused by physical discomfort. She may have breaks that haven't healed properly, compacted anal glands, or maybe something around her neck/chest that makes collars and harnesses scary.
  2. Keep working on her mental health. It's great that you have a backyard. Can you play scent games or scatter feed her there? Can you build her a sandbox where she can dig for toys or bones? Do you do enrichment boxes, lickimats, chews? How's her reactivity in the house/backyard to things other than touch - i.e. barking at loud noises, watching through the windows, separation anxiety? How long does she sleep for every day? Have you done any counter conditioning or desensitization work with her?

@eugenspierer Not sure where you are but I’m in the US! :)
  1. There is a vet that does home visits near me. I definitely plan to have her come. I’m just a tad embarrassed cause I basically cannot control her when she’s aggressive and fearful cause she will bite everyone even me. I’m also considering sedated grooming at this vet 15 mins from me that does it.
  2. She has so many jobs around the house! She runs around in our yard and has many toys including puzzles but is easily startled if a motorcycle revs their engine, if the next door’s big dog barks, or if she hears a loud bang (one of the houses near us is doing construction and it’s very distressing to
    My poor girl). She loves my father so much. And always sits with him. She’s hates other men. She tolerates my brother when he visits home and allows my boyfriend to pat her when he’s over. However unfamiliar men scare her the most. A friend came to us and stayed I’m our house for a bit. My girl loved her and took only a couple hours for her to beg for pets! She barks like crazy when I leave my house or if an unfamiliar person is outside our house. She sleeps about 12-14 hours a day. Desensitizing has helped so much with washing her paws and wiping her face. I cannot believe I can even bathe her without sedation and a muzzle. It makes me tear up everytime. My poor girl 😭

@blesseddaughteroflight I'd check with the vet if you can get a sedative to give her 30-60 minutes before he comes, so that she's already sedated and muzzled when he arrives. Grooming under sedation is also a good idea, just make sure to space the scary events and give her time to recover and regain trust.

If she doesn't like your brother or boyfriend, ask them to keep their distance. No one touches her without her consent. Do you do consent-based petting? I feel like it's made a difference for my pup - as much as i love cuddling him, i love it a thousand times more when i know he's enjoying it, too.

For noise based reactivity, I'd definitely make sure there's nothing physically hurting her. And then i'd use counter conditioning to help make the noises less scary. Scary noises = you making it rain with high value treats.

Aim for at least 16 hours of sleep a day. Arousal levels only get lowered through sleep, and she sounds high arousal if she's on alert when you're gone or whenever there are strangers/strange noises. Have you heard of the relaxation protocol? How is she in a crate?

@eugenspierer My boyfriend and brother are very good with giving her space. They don’t pet her unless she comes over and asks. And the second she steps back they immediately stop to let her decide if she wants more pets or to leave. I do not let Strangers pet her.

As for crating I leave it open so she can retrieve to her safe space if needed. I leave a used shirt or blanket so she has my smells when I’m gone and she clings to it for dear life. On occasion I don’t crate her and let her roam in certain areas behind a baby fenced area. I know… not the best but I do it when she’s very very anxious and needs to pace

@blesseddaughteroflight I don't mind having my dog out if he's not destructive. But crating him did help with getting him to sleep enough until he was stable enough to be able to relax in the house. 16 hours minimum is non negotiable for my dog, i immediately see the difference if he sleeps any less.

@eugenspierer Thank you! I do fall for the puppy eyes a lot I must say. She paces a lot when she is nervous so sometimes I let her roam. She gets along well with my other dog and occupies herself with toys and my other dog when I am not home if I do not crate her as she is not destructive either.

@blesseddaughteroflight Honestly, people like you are my heroes. Everyone wants to adopt a dog but most people give up when it gets real. Some dogs are like your 11yo, but a lot of dogs are like the 6yo you’re describing. What inspires me about people like you is that you don’t give up. Thanks for that. If anyone else had responded to that pet finder ad, who knows what could have happened to that dog. Thanks for being there for her even though it doesn’t seem easy.

Have you read On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas?

@wrestman001 I’m tearing up. Thank you for the kind words. I won’t give up on her! I promise!!! I’ll definitely look into it! Just added the book to my Amazon cart :). I also think about what would happen if someone else took her in. I love her even though she’s nipped me before but thankfully never drew blood. I just get so much judgement from other people and it bothers me

@blesseddaughteroflight You are doing amazing! I have a couple of books to recommend as well. If nothing else at least go through Control Unleashed. I have the first version of this book and it helped me so much as far as teaching my dog self control and helping me understand how to train.

Control Unleashed Reactive to Relaxed by Leslie McDevitt

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

The Tellington T touch for Dogs

The Other end of the Leash by Patricia McConnell

@reah Thank you so much for the recommendations! One of my frustrations with my dog is in times of anxiety and stress she will REFUSE even a t bone steak! She loves to eat but only when she is happy. That is why teaching her commands has been so easy but grooming is hard :(