Favorite shears

james24essex

I’m starting to get back into dog grooming after taking a break do to heath reasons and had to leave all my supplies with PS because I didn’t finish my contract (already finished my 200 dogs and was in sit but hadn’t finished my two years). I’m going to start grooming again but on my schedule to help with bills and such and I’m curious as to y’all’s favorite shears/ brands. I’d prefer shears that flip because I tend to groom ambidextrously and y’all know how useful it is to flip curves for faces and eyebrows.

@james24essex They made you leave your supplies there ? I’ve never heard of that, I’m sorry they made you do that! Usually whenever someone left in my experience they just kind of cut it as a loss 😅

First off, my coworker changed my life with these shears on Amazon. They’re by Moontay, and they’re serrated shears. They were only $40 & they were the BEST blending shears I’ve ever used.

Otherwise I have the Kenchii Pink Poodles set. They’re pricey but very worth it for me.

The more cost effective shears that I’ve used in the past are Geib Gators. On Amazon they’re $209 for the set!

@james24essex I mostly use Kenchii, Sharkfin, Zolitta, and Foxy Roxy as I'm left handed and it's harder to find quality shears. I groom using both hands but scissor left handed and also flip my shears. What I've learned is you want to get shears with an even handle, if you flip shears with an offset handle over time it can prematurely dull the blades. I mostly follow this rule with curved shears since those are usually what I'm flipping. Kenchii has a specific line of flippable shears, just know that it's technically still a right handed shear so it's not truly ambidextrous. To this day my favorite set is the Kenchii 5 Star line, super great quality while still being somewhat affordable. If possible it's always best to try shears in person to see if they comfortably fit your hand, but I know that isn't really possible outside of a trade show or supply store. Also I'm sorry you had that experience with ps, I'd never heard of having to leave your equipment behind but I didn't have a good experience with them either so that isn't very surprising

@james24essex In our salon, people tend to reach for Freebird or Farah shears the most. Geib Gators are beloved for true entry level shears and a few people have the less expensive sets from Amazon or Foxy Roxy.

@eeyaa Freebird is the Wish of shears. Worst customer service on the planet, and half the time, you have to threaten to file a chargeback with your CC company to even get an email response.

Their shears are not worth their nonsense.

@james24essex I have the graffiti set by zolitta and they’re awesome! Also affordable grooming shears and gem/gmc (Canadian based brand I believe) have some amazing shears for good prices! Specifically the curved blenders/chunkers from affordable grooming shears.

@james24essex I have the loyalty pet products starter shear set. I love them. While my curves are not ambidextrous, current example photos of the set on both the website and Chewy (where I bought them) now show an ambidextrous curve.

Idk how much I like foxy roxy. I got them as part of my petsmart kit and all but 2 of my shears came dull, and they seem poorly aligned. I can't find a tension setting that doesn't cause scrubbing somewhere or then just leap into wobbliness. I have some foxy roxy thinners that a coworker gave me from her shears or the month collection, and I like them. They take more off than my lpp thinners, so they're nice for like outlines where I want more aggressive removal than my thinners but better blending than my chunkers and I am too lazy to use 2 different shears lol.

Down the road, I'd like to try the lpp serenity set and/or geib black pearls. I've heard good things about both of them.

@james24essex I find that even expensive it cheap shears have a break in period...and when you have used them, you'll narrow down you shears and just keep sharpening your favorites. I have 3 Chris Christenson that don't seem to ever cut right but I have cheap pair of Roselines which are super easy to use and I'm not loyal to any ONE line . I have Geib, Artero, Kenchis, Shark Fin, black Stallion, purple leopard ones from Pet Edge (they work really well too). So I think it depends on what you like best

@james24essex a lot of us in my salon use purple dragon, which u can get on amazon. it's quite cheap, and if you end up not liking the quality theyve got a really quick and easy return process. my purple dragon thinners worked really well up until i dropped them (😭😭)

Back