Extremely loud Howl-Bark / barking issues

@gamerguy99 I think I know the bark you’re talking about. My girl will let out a single yip bark at the top of her lungs. She’ll do it as a warning (like: someone’s approaching!) or a greeting (you were gone a long time!) or in annoyance (my dinner is late!).

I have had some success training speak then hush. When she does it say the command speak and treat until she catches on speak = bark. Then teach hush by saying it like 10 seconds later when she’s silent and treat. Practice speak-hush quickly a lot. Then try just hush. I use it as a reminder. I know she loves to let out this bark every time she runs out my back door. So I lightly tap her nose and remind “hush”. It has reduced the barking.

Something else you can do is teach a command for lowering her bark volume. Mine is very vocal so I’ve been rewarding “quiet” when she is barking or grumbling at an inside voice level.

A last resort for us is time out. Incessant loud barking because she’s having a bad day? She’s going behind a closed door and ignored until she’s been quiet for 20 minutes.

@turneradamj This is great!! However, my Heeler BACK TALKS 😂 it sincerely sounds like he’s explaining himself. So if he barks, not even the howl maybe just a small one, I don’t really care as much as the howl so I do “quiet.” He then will start “rawr rawr rawr rawr rawwwwr. Rawr rawrrawr” like he’s explaining why he did it. They are so intelligent truly. That’s really good advice though for the potential time out. Shadow hates getting in trouble. The minute he does he is paw to chest trying to apologize

@gamerguy99 😂 that’s hilarious. We joke they are toddlers.

Time out has been pretty effective for us! We are not the most disciplined at disciplining ours but the days we do her barking greatly improves for a few days after.

Also, the first few times we did time out she did not stop barking for nearly an hour so be prepared to power through!

@gamerguy99 Counter conditioning the sounds would be ideal.

Record the sounds that trigger the response. Play sound and then reward. I always reward the ground and then toss a treat a bit away to 'reset'
Doing multiple sessions as many time as possible over extended times works best.

It teaches the dog that 'sound' = treat, so they hear it and come to you for reward vs go screaming away lol.

It's not odd he barks when you come home if he's out with your roommate but is quiet when he is alone.

Dogs bark to alert PERSON something is there. He's just letting home person know there something.

In the moment I get up, EVERY single time, approach the dog. Give our 'all good' command and lead him to his bed. I leave a short leash on so I'm not grabbing at his collar.

I do not yell or correct dogs for barking, I simple get up, investigate, let them know it's safe and lead them to their calm spot.

Imo it's unrealistic to ask a dog to never bark but is completely possible to get a dog to stop when asked and/or to only bark once/twice.

@gamerguy99 Aww, this sounds a lot like my girl! She usually only barks to express her joy and excitement at seeing a favorite human or getting to do something extra fun. Unfortunately that bark can shatter glass.

There's a lot of really good ideas in this thread - two other things I've done that have helped. I've taught her "tiny woof" by catching her when she's making little humph noises (like the talking back times :D), marking it, and then treating. I've then been able to associate her seeing something interesting with a "tiny woof" instead of her shrieks. I'd say we're at about 80% success rate at tiny woofing at deer now.

For the times she's so overjoyed to see someone, I have been redirecting that adrenaline and energy onto a tug toy and basically play so that me and the toy are more exciting than who's shown up. It's still a work in progress, but has cut down the constant barking to maybe one quick shotgun blast.