E-collar correction

@skilletboy It's not about the level it's about the conditioning. The actual training.

Right now you're just frying your dog to the point it's yelping, and the poor dog has no idea why.

Ecollar should be for communicating.

People using them without any clue how to are the reason so many people hate them.

Do your homework first, there are many trainers giving this education out for free to stop situations like yours from happening, because it's not fair to the dog.

Tom Davis is a good place to start, he has hundreds of hours of podcast on the subject, please go use them.

@skilletboy Internet camera has too much latency for proper timing. Ideally the punisher will be applied the moment the dog touches the trash. Think about what would happen if you stick your hand in the trash and touched a mousetrap - would you stick your hand in there again?

@skilletboy Yeah this ain’t it man…I put chairs and tv tables on my couches when I’m not around. When I am I give the opportunity to make the right decision and just keep telling him to get “off” the sofa. He doesn’t try it as much but if I left the couches exposed when I’m gone he would more than happily make himself comfortable. He’s use to it, behavior is hard to change, especially when we speak different languages.

@imagebeastmarkbeast I carry my couch out to the garage every time I leave the house and bring it back in when I get home. There is no length I won't go to in order to avoid correcting my dog to solve a very straightforward issue.

@skilletboy Larry Krohn actually talks about a similar situation in his book, and use of high stim levels.
  1. No you can't kill your dog with the ecollar.
  2. If your dog doesn't understand the stim at a corrective level and/or you aren't willing to use a high enough level, then don't use it in a half done way. It's fine if you don't feel comfortable or would rather seek alternatives. Personally, I find my dogs need much higher levels when they are doing some very rewarding/in drive- counter surfing, chasing wild life, chasing a ball, etc. It's very dog dependent. But also does your dog understand leave it? Do you set the kitchen as an out of bounds area? Do they understand to not lurk around food in the first place? Are the general expectations set and maintained in the home?
In general, I would put down the ecollar until you feel more educated about the tool. I definitely had to put this tool down a few times to do some further education. And for those who say the ecollar should never use it in a corrective manner- listen to Ivan Balabanov discuss this concept.
  1. Timing and consistency is important. So.. IDK how much of these you get through a house cam. You probably wanna correct immediately when they actually put paws on the counter rather than half way through eating.
  2. If you apply the concept of 2 and 3 incorrectly, you can teach your dog to persist through discomfort/pain for what they are clearly seeing as a very high reward. Canine paradigm guys discussed this a few times in their podcast.
Also crates, baby gates, putting things away, etc are all great options that don't require you to become an amateur dog trainer to ensure counter surfing doesn't occur.

@skilletboy No an e collar cannot kill a dog, they do not have enough power to cause burns or physical damage. They can mess them up mentally though.

Maybe try it higher once incase its too low to have the desired effect at 25, but if it doesnt stop the behaviour straight away dont just keep shocking your dog when it obviously isnt working.

@skilletboy Put the trash where he can't get it! I also recommend crating when you're gone. I can't imagine watching my dog while he's doing unsafe behaviors! Not only can he eat something that can make him sick, he can swallow plastic or something that can cause a blockage or cut his mouth on an open can, the possibilities for hurting himself while alone are endless.

@skilletboy Your dog has no idea why his neck hurts. He is not connecting the pain to his actions. That's... pretty common actually. You have to do a lot of work with a dog to make sure they understand why something is happening and be really, really consistent.

Your dog thinks he is minding his own business enjoying his trash can that you so kindly left out for him and then his neck just hurts for no reason. More pain isn't going to change that.

EDIT - if you are really committed to the idea of using an electric shock instead of containing your dog, put a scatmatt on the trashcan. The dog will be shocked if they touch the matt. The punishment will be consistent and immediate. Keep in mind that if you ever remove the matt the dog might go back to digging through the trash.

@skilletboy If your trainer is out of town and you don't know how to use the tool - take it off and stop until your trainer has returned and can coach you.

*edit* - used too many big words for someone here. shortened it for them :)

@skilletboy I started to crate train my dog when he started doing this at about 8 months old. He’s in his crate at night when we sleep and anytime we leave him alone during the day. Way better for everyone

@skilletboy It's not about the level it's about the conditioning. The actual training.

Right now you're just frying your dog to the point it's yelping, and the poor dog has no idea why.

Ecollar should be for communicating.

People using them without any clue how to are the reason so many people hate them.

Do your homework first, there are many trainers giving this education out for free to stop situations like yours from happening, because it's not fair to the dog.

Tom Davis is a good place to start, he has hundreds of hours of podcast on the subject, please go use them.

Back