E-collar correction

@skilletboy he shouldn't be yelping. He should be feeling it enough to be uncomfortable but not in pain. you also need to manage on your end. Why is he getting in the trash? why is it accessible to him? why is the food accessible? why is the couch accessible if he's not allowed on it when you're not there?

This is why a lot of people crate train their dogs.

also, how long have you been working on this training?

@kyfisher1 Some of them are just drama queens. I've got one that yelps if I vibrate him sometimes. It reminds me of an a human experience rowing crew in high school, where since you're in a tiny boat, sometimes splashes happen and you get wet. I had a teammate who reflexively exclaimed "OW!" every. single. time. he was splashed - needless to say, he did not last very long in the sport, but it wasn't a pain reaction (it doesn't hurt if you get splashed) in the same way that a dog may yelp just in surprise.

This dog will scream if I vibrate the collar sometimes (no shock at all) and other times to get through the brain fog he needs basically cattle prod levels to break into his brain before he'll acknowledge me if he's locked on something else.

All that said, I agree with you. I'm also a firm believer that the ecollar is never punitive. It's a signal to say 'stop whatever you are doing, and pay attention to me and what I'm asking for' and a long-distance way to say 'this is not a polite request, it's a firm demand, thank you much.' if they blow you off when asked nicely. You focus on me and execute what I'm asking for, and you don't get to make your own decisions in that process (except to comply with my decisions), or I'll remind you where your focus should be and what decisions have been made on your behalf. We'll have the dance party and celebration later, but if I'm using the ecollar actively, I've made a set of decisions that we'll see through before they get their decision making autonomy back.

Plan executed? Great, go back to doing whatever! I'll let you know when I want your attention next, and hopefully this time I get it without the collar coming into play.

@skilletboy You need to put your trash and your food in a safe, inaccessible place. How is a small dog even physically capable of reaching those things. Once you’ve done that, you need to fire your trainer and hire a new one. Preferably one with IAABC accreditation. You’ve received some really bad advice and you’re absolutely right to be concerned. Good luck.

@virgy Long before ecollars were invented, I took in an adult Maltese dog. We had a small office space adjacent to the kitchen where the trashcan was. I had a dog gate. Well actually a baby gate. That little fucker would jump on top of the office chair on top of the desk on top of a taller file cabinet to dive into the garbage can with the swinging lid, knock the trash over and then burrow his way to the bottom of the trash bag. Nothing better than coming home to a white, long-haired Maltese, covered in coffee grounds and tuna can smell. Sometimes, if there’s a will, there’s a way. Of course I moved the trashcan. He could no longer dive into it and he wasn’t able to knock it over if he could get in the kitchen, so what did he do instead? Peed on top of the file cabinet. 😹.

@nhuluong Damn, you had a little athlete! I secure my trash with bear clips and keep it inside a cupboard when I have a foster. Some of them are great problem solvers.

@nhuluong OMG he sounds so much like my last trouble maker. Managed to break out of his crate, climb on top of it to climb on top of the stove, open a top cabinet and pull out a bag of sugar. If you had told me that I would be vacuuming freaking SUGAR off my STOVE one day thanks to a 25lb dog I would have laughed at you, but well, here we are.

He was a freaking menace, the last time I tried to go somewhere without him he was like 14, most of his teeth were broken and he still managed to chew a hole big enough to escape from an airline crate. All while on enough sedatives to knock out a horse.

@virgy What's the bad advice? Correcting the dog?

Do you need IAABC accreditation to take someone's money and tell them to move the garbage and constantly manage their environment rather than addressing the behaviour?

@eve_marie Nope. Using an ecollar at an increasingly higher setting in the absence of the owner.
IAABC consultants have expertise in effectively reducing unwanted behavior using actual evidence based methods, correction or not.
Hope that helps!

@virgy Oh, actual evidence based methods. Got you. What's the evidence I'm apparently not aware of to reduce unwanted behaviour, correction or not?

Why would they use an e-collar at increasingly higher settings? What does the absence of the owner have to do with it?

@eve_marie My friend, if you’re not familiar that there are ways to prevent or replace behavior that don’t involve cranking up the amp/volt of static electric charge to the dog’s neck, it’s probably not going to be me, on Reddit, who helps you understand that. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. There’s lots to learn out there!

@virgy Your smug, snarky, holier-than-thou attitude is definitely helping me see the error of my ways much more than answering the question ever could.

You can prevent all kinds of stuff. If I have a reactive dog I can prevent it from reacting by never letting them leave the basement. That isn't training though, is it?

Let me know how you would replace the dogs behaviour of getting into the garbage while the owners aren't home with an alternate behaviour, and have it be reliable.

@virgy weird. I was responding to "I dont know any trainer who would suggest this over crate training." Either I commented to the wrong person or you edited your comment.

@kyfisher1 I haven’t edited anything. You responded to me with a random hypothetical. Even if the owner had said that, it doesn’t explain the trainer giving advice as trash as this.

@virgy I guess I accidentally responded to the wrong person. As far as the trainer goes. I dont think the trainer said exactly what OP said. I've found that training the owners tends to be the most difficult part of the job.

Also, if OP was told this by the trainer, why are they not asking them about increasing the stim of the collar? I'll bet OP is ignoring what the trainer actually told them and is coming here to justify doing their way.

@skilletboy It's not about the level it's about the conditioning. The actual training.

Right now you're just frying your dog to the point it's yelping, and the poor dog has no idea why.

Ecollar should be for communicating.

People using them without any clue how to are the reason so many people hate them.

Do your homework first, there are many trainers giving this education out for free to stop situations like yours from happening, because it's not fair to the dog.

Tom Davis is a good place to start, he has hundreds of hours of podcast on the subject, please go use them.

Back