Durable toy for extremely aggressive chewer?

@blackzeppelin Wild One has some great options. I get their triangle rope and it lasts forever with my heavy chewers.

Also Jolly balls are made for horses and seem to be pretty indestructible for my pups, UNLESS you get the one with the handle. They chew through that part pretty quickly but there are plenty of other options without handles

@blackzeppelin Funnily enough, there’s a dog toy brand named tuffy that makes amazing ‘softer’ toys. I gifted one to my parents dog who absolutely mauls every toy he’s ever had and he still hasn’t broken through it a year later

@blackzeppelin Our pup is a chewer. Normal toys last not even a minute. We love:
  • GoDog toys. Very durable, quite expensive but worth it imo.
  • Goughnuts. She loves her circle ring and there's not even a dent in it.
  • Buffalo cheek chips. She loves them, some of them last longer than others.
  • Stuffed beef tracheas.
  • She also really likes her benebones, but there's the risk of tooth fracture with these. For her, an adult benebone lasts like a week or so until it hits the level that is meant to be thrown out. We aren't going to be buying them no more.
To deter her from chewing things she shouldn't be chewing on we use this sour Apple spray you get from the pet store. Works awesome.

@blackzeppelin GoDog toys I buy from amazon or TJX stores
Goughnut I bought from a really small shop in Toronto because they were the only Canadian retailer I found
Trachea and cheek chips I buy from PetSmart or pet valu, but they have them everywhere!

@blackzeppelin I have a BarkBox SuperChewer subscription and while they aren’t always the most long-lasting toys I have come across, the toys they send are pretty great and my dog LOVES them. And, compared to Kong and similar you buy from Petco, reasonably priced. It is a mixed bag as to how long they stick around, I currently have one squeak toy from the October box still going, but his boxes after that got demolished pretty quickly.

Other than that, Kong has the most long-lasting tennis ball style toys I have found, they surprised me. I also usually keep a few Nylabone-style hard scented toys around. He loves plush toys so much I do occasionally buy him something from this brand: DogTuff but they are kidding themselves if they think their toys last longer than an hour. Someone else mentioned a similar brand (Tuffy I think) and I just haven’t had the same luck they have with this type of plush toy. As I said, he loves them so I do buy them occasionally, but what happens is that he starts working at one of the seams and blows it apart. The fabric itself is as strong as they say.

And, finally, sometimes I drop a wad (ugh so expensive) on monster-sized bully sticks from Bullybunches. If I have to have my dog distracted for an hour or two, this is the way. It is just hard on the wallet.

Edit: with the bully sticks, I did buy a bully stick holder from Bully Labs. I like Bullybunches sticks better, but the holder has held up for over a year now and I would buy it again for sure. Not only does it make me feel better regarding choking hazards, but it makes the stick last way longer because he spends a significant amount of time trying to lick it out of the holder once it is down to a nub.

@blackzeppelin Its like 35 bucks a month for 3 toys, two medium sized bags of treats, and a treat chew stick of some variety. I have heard that you can contact them and customize further, for example I have been meaning to ask them to do no treats because my buddy has a slight weight problem. I also would prefer more rubber toys and less hard nylon. I haven’t tried asking for that yet though, even though I am pretty positive it is a thing.

Maybe give it a go, you can always cancel after a few months!

@blackzeppelin at petco the best i found were the Nylabone, the big plastic 'bones'. my dog has been chewing one for months. you should supervise the dog though while chewing, eating little shavings of it is fine but dont let him chew off a huge chunk

@blackzeppelin My dog used to chew on chunks on concrete that he would find. I was mystified because I didn’t have concrete chunks in my yard. He would shred fire hose, elk antlers, cow femur, and don’t even talk to me about kong. The most recent annoyance is ripping the fence slats off and chewing on 4x4 pine. I think he was on a mission from god, and after a while he just goes back to being mild mannered.

@sirlanky Where do you get the nylabones and benebones?

I gotten her this rubber toy that lasted her 3 days to my surprise, and this rubber tire toy my grandma sent didnt last one bit

@blackzeppelin
  1. Your pup looks just like mine!!
  2. If you're in the US, use chewy! They're the best. Also you can usually get them on Amazon. I happen to live near an indie pet store that carries them.

Back