Dog can’t get up after sedation

agoodfriend

TLDR: He is paralyzed. It wasn’t the sedation. He had emergency surgery. 90% chance he will walk again, but he’s going to need Physical Therapy to accomplish that. If anyone knows about dog wheelchairs, please comment your advice. If anyone knows of any grants I can apply to, please comment that too. Thank you!

My dog was at the vet today, and sedated for an ultrasound around 4:30pm (it is now 10:45pm) when I picked him up at 6:30 pm- he was brought out on a stretcher- and they kind of just tipped him off- onto his back, onto the backseat. We had to get the fire department to help get him out of the car, but they only helped get him out. I dragged him on sheet a few feet into the garage. He’s been laying on the floor of the garage, on his side, now for 2 hours (now 6 hours on the garage floor). Sedation was supposedly supposed to wear off within an hour. When I try and get him up, it’s like he forgot how to use his back legs. They stick straight out and are like locked in that position, they won’t bend, or he won’t let them bend?? He can’t get them underneath himself no matter how I try and lift him to help. He weighs 120lbs. I can’t get him up. Is this normal for sedation??? Anyone know??? Should I be calling a pet ambulance to take him to emergency??? I’m so upset the vet let him come home like this!!!!!! What are your sedation/ anesthesia experiences? Ever seen anything like this??
Edit: found the invoice. butorphanol 35#
His current set up
UPDATE: Tiny improvement. I am able to get him up with towels under him holding him up, supporting most of his weight- well a lot of it anyway. Couldn’t do that last night. He only manages to go a few steps before he needs to lay down again. I got him to the grass. He flopped down and peed laying down. Dog ambulance should be here any minute. We’re going to emergency. His right back leg is better than the left. His right moves now when I tickle the back of his leg.
He drank some water too. His paw pads weirdly look pale but his gums are definitely not pale.
Him on the grass laying in the sun.

Update 2: animal ambulance picked him up. It was really hard to watch him get loaded up. Called the emergency place so they know to expect him. He’s on his way to the ER. My mom, his grandma, is following behind them in her car. I’m going to try and get a nap, get cleaned up, and head down there in a little bit. If I get stuck there a gazillion hours, I won’t be able to make it all day without some sleep. I almost took a picture to show you all the ambulance, but decided not to memorialize it.

Update 3: he’s getting a bunch of tests and X-rays. Might be sedation related, might be a nerve or a back injury. Will update when I have answers. Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart for all of your help last night and this morning.

Update 4:
They aren’t sure sure but they think he had a spinal cord stroke, cartilage embolism. He is not paralyzed. He’s just really weak right now mostly on the left side. Which I think is a step up from last night. So it’s not great news, it’s bad news.. but at this minute he has a chance. I authorized an MRI, and they want to keep him til tomorrow around 6pm. I’ll have actual answers when they get results back.

Update 5: He was finally diagnosed with a ruptured disc in his neck. Thanks to 0% care credit for the next 18 months, he went directly from the MRI to surgery around 4pm yesterday. The neurologist is saying 90% +/- chance that he will walk again unassisted in the next 2-4 weeks if everything goes according to plan. He has some physical therapy ahead of him. I am staying optimistic. Apparently it happened on the right day because the neurologist is only there on Thursdays and he was able to squeeze his exam in, and then also the surgery that took about 3 hours or so. I am thankful he got a good night’s sleep seemingly pain free Wednesday night, minus me annoying him all night… albeit a slumber party in the garage at that, but home.

I’m not sure if I will ever know what happened, but I do know that it is the most F’d up thing to literally dump him in my car like that Wednesday night when they should have told me to take him to the ER immediately.

I am so proud of him for being such a good boy.
They’re definitely keeping him all day today (Friday) and Saturday. Very small possibility he will be there until Monday afternoon. I will update when I know more, and when he comes home. I might have to sell a kidney, but he deserves a chance.

Update 6: They are keeping Maximus in the hospital until Tuesday now. They said when they get him up with those sling supports to go potty, he’s not moving his back legs at all. Apparently he has limited power in his front legs too, but he is able to prop his head up. They said he can kick his back legs a little bit right now, and that’s supposedly a good sign. Somehow his urinary catheter fell out last night and he is able to go potty without it, so they’re not putting it back in. Apparently that’s a good sign too. And he’s eating.

@agoodfriend Some dogs are lightweights and sedation can last longer. I'd make a note for when he has to be sedated in the future. If his gums are pink and he's not breathing weird, he's probably fine.

@8786cypress He’s pretty alert considering. He seems to be breathing fine. It’s just that his legs aren’t working. I piled blankets on top of him cause it’s chilly. I guess we’re just having a slumber party in the garage. He’s gotta have to pee by now. I feel so helpless.

@agoodfriend if he's still not peed you might have to express it for him, lots of guides on a google so I won't link you one but even if he's not feeling the urge (which is normal after sedation btw) his bladder will still need emptying

@esta25 I finally got him to the grass. He peed after he laid down on it. That’s one of the things I was worried about. I didn’t know I could express it. I woulda tried that in the middle of the night, but thankfully he went.

@agoodfriend that's really good! saw you got him to the animal ER, I think that was the right call even if only for your own peace of mind. crossing everything for you that it's just an unusually strong reaction to the sedative, and that you manage to get some sleep

@esta25 You know that when you decide not to go to the vet, but then later, at night- you realize you should have gone to the vet because now it’s worse and now you have to go late. Yeah…. I thought about waiting it out, but I would hate myself for a long time if I should have gone.

@agoodfriend I don't want to make you nervous but the way you decribe the situation makes me worried about his spine. My biggest question for that would be, does he seem to still have feeling in his back feet? Can you pinch the toes, or brush them lightly to see if he responds to touch? If he's responding to touch okay, I think your boy is just a big ol' lightweight for anesthesia. If you can't get him to respond to touch, I would consider calling and emergency vet for a profesional opinion on whether or not you need to take immediate action.

@josh261995 My mind has already been going there. I was pinching his toes and tickling his feet but he didn’t care. I saw him move 1 of his legs earlier, I saw his tail move about 5 minutes ago. I don’t know if he’s just so tired that he doesn’t care. He can like lift them off the ground straight out but that’s it. I just gave his toe webbing a good pinch and dug in with my nail a little. He didn’t flinch. Fuck

@agoodfriend It's pretty normal, honestly. They're just like people where some bounce back fast and some don't. Just keep stimulating the dog, rub/wiggle and pat to get him moving . It sucks that he's so big, but it's not abnormal. If he was at the vet, the same thing would be happening there except the staff would be working . He's better being with you so you can continue to wiggle and wake him up

@sisi The only thing that’s really tripping me up is he isn’t reacting to pain and I’m not sure if that’s normal too. I was pinching and tickling his toes but he doesn’t care. Gave him a big pinch between his toes, dug my nail in a little…. However I just grabbed his foot, gave it a squeeze and extended his leg backwards and he pulled his leg away from me. Here’s hoping it’s just that he’s a lightweight.
I put an electric heater in the garage, put a pillow under his head and piled a couple blankets on him. Sitting in my car next to him.
Earlier it was going to be a good memory, the night he was so sedated the fire dept had to pull him outta the car. Now I’m so sick with worry.

@agoodfriend Yea he was sedated , that's what it's for . If he's moving but not reacting yet normal, I'd say he's on the road to recovery. Definitely call your vet if you're worried, but some dogs take a whole day to get back to maneuvering semi normal.

My dog had a tooth pulled, and it was a rough procedure, stubborn tooth . She slept for basically a whole day . I tried to carry her outside to pee after 7 hours or so, and she just went flat . I put honey on her gums just to give her that glucose boost , I basically shook her every half hour or so lol . I worked at the clinic and some dogs would be running and eating within 45 minutes like nothing happened

@sisi Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. I’m trying to wake him up and annoy him every 30-45 minutes. I’m guna give him a tiny bit of honey. He didn’t eat anything yesterday- last meal was, not last night but the night before. Whenever that was. My brain can’t work it out… maybe a little sugar would help perk him up. Me too cause I just realized I haven’t eaten either.

@agoodfriend I just read your update regarding the spinal stroke. My sweet boy had one and was able to eventually walk and he mobile but it was so hard to watch him struggle. I hope your baby mends and I’m thinking about you both.

@agoodfriend My older dog is the opposite after sedation - he forgets how to lay down and stands until he falls. I’d let your pup sleep it off just like a person would. It usually takes mine around 18 hours to be “normal” again.

@jat7 Right now I’m conflicted about doing that or not doing that. I’m so anxious. Exhaustion probably isn’t helping. I’ve tried to pick him up so many times in the last 11.5 hours or so. My body feels like I was in a car crash. He’s got a little bit of strength in 1 leg now. I’m hoping the second follows suit… but like… what if I’m wrong about all of it. I need to get a nap in. I’m not even making sense to myself now.

@agoodfriend I don’t blame you. I just read through all of your comments. They should have observed him longer. You might ask them what type of anesthesia they used, my dog responds better to one type than another and once I learned it, I added a note to his vet file.

I would also be worried about pain if your dog had pancreatitis. I would seek a second opinion. Do you have someone who could help you pick up your dog and get him in the car? Using a sheet or towel as a sling can be a good way to move him, but with pancreatitis be careful with his abdomen. If you can move him, I would call ahead to an ER vet or see if there is another vet nearby you could trust (word of mouth; reviews) and call them and see if they could squeeze you in. I’m so sorry, this sounds so stressful and I know how exhausting hypervigilance feels.

Please keep us posted.

Back