Dog can’t get up after sedation

@faller Yes good call, good looking out !! He is a herding breed mix but he’s negative for that gene. I had him tested when he had a little bit of puppy mange several years ago so they knew if he could have the medicine. Thank you!

VCA Hospitals article:

Many herding breeds (most commonly Collies and Australian Shepherds) have a mutation at the MDR1 gene that makes them more sensitive to the negative effects of certain medications (...)

Sedatives, such as those commonly given as components of a balanced anesthetic protocol (acepromazine, butorphanol), may also show stronger effects in dogs with MDR1 mutation. This is a very subtle difference in degree of sedation and duration of sedation. These dogs can still receive typical anesthetic drugs safely; however, veterinarians may choose to use lower doses in dogs who are suspected or known to possess an MDR1 mutation.

@agoodfriend That is very good. I bet he will come back around in the morning. My dog was out of it for half a day. He is just slow recovering...try not to panic. Could be 24 hours to be normal again. I would still call vet first thing in morning to discuss his release and condition.