Does your dog sleep in your bed?

@inneed1012 We don’t have a dog with guarding issues so yeah. We definitely didn’t just get a bigger size bed so she has more room…she has free reign in the house but will get off or on furniture on command with now arguing. Honestly though she rather sleeps on the wood floor because we live in a very hot and humid country but the space is always there for her if she wants it because she’s my best friend.

@eazye This is a super good point, I think it’s important to qualify what “type” of reactivity.

For example: mine doesn’t resource guard and he listens to me the first time. So I don’t have a problem letting him on the bed because it’s not a problem if he needs to get off.

He is, however, reactive to strangers - so boundaries in the form of an ironclad down/stay and leashed heel (rather than always being allowed sniffy walks) allow me to provide him the predictability that structure sets us up well for.

@inneed1012 Yes, he does. He also has free access to furniture without needing me to tell him he can go on.

You can set boundaries still by teaching him "Up" and "Down" as commands (even if your dog has free access at all times to those places) and make sure he understands down means going off whatever he's on. My dog is special in that regard, as he keeps forgetting his commands, probably due to the stress outside. But he comes down when I call him. My dog is reactive and in the beginning he didn't sleep in my bed, as I was worried I'd hurt him as I turn a lot, but it didn't lessen his reactivity. After some time I started to allow him on my bed, he even has his own staircase!

If there are no issues that you can link back to being in bed with the owner caused by either of those, then there's nothing to worry and the total rule of "no dogs in bed ever" is bullshit when it comes to the extreme of never ever allowed. It's nuanced. A blanket statement like this doesn't help people. Why? Because as above, my dog is reactive and the intensity doesn't change when it comes to where he sleeps.

In some cases, yes, it is possible that a dogs negative behaviour can be fueled more if they're allowed on furniture of any kind without commands and boundaries. But it's case by case basis and has to analyzed this way, too, because sometimes it could be the dog is territorial over the bed or the owner and/or resource guard the bed or the owner(s). Sometimes it can cause a dogs general anxiety to worsen even.

But it all depends on the case itself then. My dog is reactive and it makes no difference if he sleeps in my bed. For others, it might make a difference. A blanket statement like the trainer made doesn't work and apply to every dog on earth.

I do suggest working on "Up" and "Down" as general commands however.

@inneed1012 Boundaries and rules can be very good for dogs, but I don't see how they could have any relationship with reactivity. Saying that a dog sleeping in your bed will make them reactive sounds like this trainer believes reactivity is a learned behavior, rather than an emotional response. That is the exact opposite of what science-oriented and science-trained professionals teach. Scientific study of reactivity teaches us that it is an emotional response.

@skycentrism In some situations, not all, reactivity can be worsened by dogs not having boundaries, clear expectations, and routine. One thing our trainer really stressed was our dog would never become confident if he didn’t have clear set rules. And I do believe that to be true, we saw a marked difference in his behavior when he understood what we expected of him in various situations but his reactivity is fear based after being attacked.