Does my dog have P.T.S.D? [Help]

nortan45

My Rottie / Beagle mix, Molly, has been yelping loudly after I put on her harness to go outside. I make sure it's not pinching anywhere and she usually yelps as I'm going from a kneeling position to a standing one. She also yelps if I'm standing above her and move my hands too quickly. I have never stuck my dog, ( nor would I ever ) other than a light nose tap. She also has a nervous stomach so when she gets too upset she barfs everywhere, sometimes 16 to 18 times until there's nothing left. I'm worried about her, I love my Molly - Ollie and, if this is what I think it is, I want to do everything I can to help her. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

@dasadler We've already have been to the vet. After a battery of tests all they say is that she has a nervous stomach and to take her off food and water for 24 hours during each episode.

@nortan45 Hard to determint the cause, but since you have identified triggers I would suggest trying desensitization training. You might want to consult a professional with experience, but basically the idea is to change the experience to a positve one in her brain. so get some special delicious treat she rarely gets to have and start to do the thing that sets her off then drop a piece of yummy food. Break the event into micro-motions, slowly working your way up to the whole thing treating along the way. Do this over the course of a few weeks. and stop tapping her nose, she's too sensitive for that.

@nortan45 Dogs pretty much live in the moment; they don't hang onto stuff like humans do. I wouldn't waste my attention on what somebody might-or-might-not have done, two owners ago.

Molly is a reactive dog (& good job noticing the specific triggers...standing/leaning over them, moving fast, hand sensitivity are common factors in setting off a reactive or fearful dog). You'll want to work on building her confidence, by giving her lots of opportunities to earn praise and treat rewards in exchange for working for you (performing commands). People often mistakenly coddle fearful and reactive dogs, but what they really want is confidence: yours (that you're looking out for them and are safe/strong enough to follow) and thier own (they know what their "job" is, and have gotten lots of practice at doing it). Leadership and structure are essential for shy/nervous dogs.

The tummy thing could be aggravated by her anxiousness, and may improve as she does, but it's good that you've had a vet look into it as well. Lots of dogs have food allergies...slippery elm and pumpkin can also help soothe an irritated digestive tract.

@godservant33 We got her form an elderly woman who said Molly was abused by the owner before her. The first time the vomiting happened we took her to an e-vet who did a battery of tests, including xray to see if she swallowed anything she shouldn't have. We tried switching up her food, it seemed to be worse with anything with cornmeal in it so the food she's on now doesn't include it in the ingredients.

@nortan45 She might be worried you're going to take her out and abandon her. My dog still shakes and cries if you're taking her on a new trip that hits her scary memories. But familiar trips she loves.

It took about 2 months before she stopped crying when we put her in the car. Now she jumps in if we have the door open.

She only really gets distressed these days if she is being walked or taken around without her brother.

We basically just tried to not make a big deal about her freaking out, gave her love and attention, and just did what we needed to do.

@rodney21 Not with Molly, once she's on the chain to go out she's out the door like a bottle rocket. She loves running around the yard doing her thing. She's even good with car trips to the vet or longer ones when we take her on vacation.