Do my dogs need different food?

jsparks1

I’ve had one dog for 11 years (female pitbull mix, 65 pounds - in shape) 9 of them on taste of the wild until she started getting an upset stomach a few times a month.

Switched to purina pro plan sensitive stomach for dogs 7+ (salmon and rice) and she is back to normal with great energy/coat etc.

We have added another rescue that is 1-2 years old (male pitbull mix, 50 pounds). He was very skinny when we got him, and he is now a much healthier weight and coat/energy/eyes/gums look great.

He has been eating the same food as the 11 year old. Should he be eating different food or will he be ok to continue on with the brand we have?

Thanks for any insight.

Quick edit: we asked the rescue and their answer was “he will probably be fine with the food” and the vets answer was something along the lines of he’s an adult so all adult food should be the same. I’m just being paranoid and making sure he’s getting what’s best

@jsparks1 Purina Pro Plan is an excellent choice! They will both be fine on adult food, or if you want, you could put the 11 year old on a senior formula to help with weight gain and joint mobility (I’m sure there are others benefits as well but not sure)

@jsparks1 Good question! I’m really surprised that your vet didn’t bring up the link between DCM and dog food brands without scientific testing (most commonly grain free). I would avoid Taste of the Wild because it has been linked to cases of DCM. Purina Pro Plan is a good choice. You could put him on any of their adult formulas. I believe that the senior formulas have lower protein and fat, plus glucosamine in comparison to the normal adult formulas. I would put the younger dog on the non senior adult food. 🙂

Back