Can someone help me breakdown converting some of these measurements on dog food bags

ianh

Okay so what I am trying to do is target a Kcal daily amount to feed my dog in a given day based on her activity levels. She is a 10 week old puppy who is expected to be 60-70lbs at adulthood.

I want to convert things down to grams so I know 1225 kcal = X gram of a certain food. I thought this should be as easy as take the Kcal/kg number provided, then divide it by 1,000 to get how many Kcal there is per gram of food (1 KG equals 1,000 Grams). 1 brand I saw (Bully Max) showed on one of their foods that Kcal/kg is 3,594 and Kcal/g is 2.6....That doesn't seem right, should be 3.6 Kcal/g, so is this just website typo? It had be question if I am doing this right or if something else I am missing. No other brand I found breaks down Kcal/g on their website or bag.

I just want to make sure if I am trying to weigh out food per day to hit a kcal number, that the break down for a kcal/g should be the Kcal/kg / 1,000. Then once I have the kcal/g I can take my target number of 825 and divide it by the kcal/g number to get how many grams per day of that food will hit my target goal. Thanks!

@ianh Sounds like a typo, bud. I'd give them a call and clarify. That said - your math or rather your conversion is right. 3600kcal/kg does come out to 3.6kcal/kg. Trust the math. I suspect they fat-fingered the per gram number, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

@ianh Yes, you are correct that the Kcal/g for a food can be obtained by dividing the Kcal/kg by 1000. In the case of Bully Max, it seems that the Kcal/g value provided may be a typo, as it does not match the Kcal/kg value.

To calculate how many grams of food to feed your dog to reach your daily Kcal target, you can divide the target Kcal by the Kcal/g of the food. Just make sure to take into account your dog's age, weight, and activity level, as their nutritional requirements may change as they grow and become more active.