Best way to get my dog to eat sedative capsules

giants89

My dog Samson, is a 3 year old Boerboel X Rhodesian mix. I have to give him 8 Capsules (4 Gabepentin and 4 Trazadone to get him sedated for his X-Ray. The trouble is, whenever i give him it with food, he chews the food, bites the tablet. taste the powder and spits it out. Is there any tricks i can use to get him to eat them. Some are capsules with powder inside and the other is just a round tablet. Any ideas?

@giants89 My big boy is a pill spitter, will eat anything a pill is wrapped in and spit the pill out. He had surgery 2 years ago and we had to give him over 25 pills a day at one point, and shoving my whole hand down his throat didn’t seem sustainable, so I tried everything. The one thing I’ve found that works is Velveeta. It wraps around the pill and coats it, tastes like cheese, and is low ish in fat. He gobbles those pills down.

@giants89 Try any “American cheese product” (aka not really cheese but also not not cheese lol). So
Something like a rotel in a jar cheese sauce or ez cheese (spray cheese). Cream cheese also would work but isn’t as smelly.

@giants89 My guy has to take a few pills a day, one of which is really bitter. Only thing that has worked for us is peanut butter. Anything else he’ll eat around or spit out. With the peanut butter I’ll put a glob on my finger with a thick cover. At this point my guy sits and opens his mouth and I’ll just wipe it off on his tongue and then let him lick remaining pb off my finger to distract him (but we’ve never had an issue).

If you go with peanut butter just make sure yours doesn’t have xylitol. Most don’t but just confirm it’s pup safe. And also it’s pretty calorie dense so I’d lay off other treats for the day

Good luck!

@giants89 Cream cheese is the only thing that works with my pups. I make four small balls, one with the pill inside, and give them a ball or two with no pills at first, then sneak the one with the pill in there.

@giants89 The trick I use with my dog to take a pill is to drop it on the floor like I've dropped a chip and go "NO, NO, NOOO!!"

.. And he eats it up quickly so I don't take it away from him...

@giants89 This last winter we had to give our dog meds for his heartworm treatment (he had it when we adopted him). Peanut butter, American cheese, and refried beans, were all things that we tried that worked for a bit until he got a taste of the medicine. By the end the only thing that worked was stuffing them in hotdogs. Best of luck!

@giants89 Whipped cream cheese. Has to be whipped. Regular cream cheese is to easily separated by my pup. I wish someone had given me this recommendation when I was first searching for something that worked.

@giants89 Our GSD girl is too smart for any tricks, so we have to do the ol fashioned way. My son puts it as far back in mouth and rubs her throat to help slide it down. She seems to like this and think it’s a game?? Go figure

Back