Best dog food that has no chicken?

@ctlguy Ah shit. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Some PPP formulas don't have chicken or chicken by products. Be vigilant about that, as well as they have started putting high pea content into some of their formulas... I forget which.

Hills and RC never met our needs, I do think they have some chicken-free formulas though. Just check again for chicken or poultry byproducts and high legume content.

Other brands to look into: Eukanaba and Inukshuk... However some other brands that aren't as "reputable" but are decent in my opinion is Open Farm (grain inclusive line), Performatrin. They're no PPP, RC or Hills but they're not completely poopy.

@ctlguy My Boy is allergic to Chicken and Brewers Yeast which I found is in a lot of kibble. He is also allergic to Beef, Rabbit, Rice, Oak, Yeast, Barley, Corn, Turkey..

I have him on Orijen Tundra and he has been doing great!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Nobody is asking you to trust someone on reddit, they're asking you to trust the entire body of peer reviewed evidence on this topic which is astonishingly clear

Specific methods for AFR testing that are unreliable and should not be used include skin testing, immunoglobulin serology, and hair and saliva testing. It is possible some variant of these methods may prove useful in the future, but none of the specific assays currently available have been convincingly shown to be useful, and several have been clearly shown to be misleading. Such tests can easily do more harm than good by convincing owners their pets’ symptoms are caused by an AFR and they have identified specific foods that are safe or problematic for their pets. Such misconceptions based on faulty tests can delay appropriate diagnosis and therapy, creating unnecessary suffering for patients and encouraging unproductive and useless dietary manipulations.

@dgodshelp7 Just being grain inclusive is not enough to ensure it won't cause DCM -- grain inclusive diets high in peas, potatoes and legumes have also been implicated.

That particular diet has two implicated ingredients very high in the list -- peas and sweet potatoes. The recommendation is to avoid those diets.

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2023...ause-is-not-yet-known-but-it-hasnt-gone-away/

The ingredients most likely at the heart of diet-associated DCM are peas and other pulses, although more research is needed on other ingredients. The presence or absence of pulses cannot be predicted based only on the diet’s name or whether the diet contains grains, so the full ingredient list of the product must be reviewed. If the diet contains pulses (for example, peas, pea protein, lentils, chickpeas, etc) in the top ten ingredients (or multiple pulses anywhere in the ingredient list), it might put some dogs at risk for heart problems.

@ctlguy I had my itchy boy on Royal Canin PW while we were doing the food elimination diet and it was great! He got picky with it though and my wallet started to hurt when they increased their prices, so we switched over to Merrick’s Beef and Ancient Grains. That was great for about a year until one bag we opened I suspect might have had chicken. My vet suggested we switch over to Hill’s Lamb diet- it does have chicken fat but supposedly it’s manufactured in a way that doesn’t include the protein my dog is allergic to, so we’re going to give that a shot. Otherwise I see Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin/Stomach recommended a lot on here but the recent negative reviews kind of turned me away.

ETA Links:

Royal Canin PW

Merrick Ancient Grains

Hill’s Lamb

Purina Pro Plan

Costco Lamb

@sheron Yeah, the recent neg reviews on the PPP are bad. I'm wondering if it's just because the dogs are getting used to the new formula?? I wouldn't mind switching my dog to it from the beef, but she can stay on the cow too 😁

@sheron Pro plan beef triggered his allergy and I noticed it’s because it has chicken by product. So my other option is salmon, I also looked up nutrisource lamb meal and it looks good but I’m not sure since it has chicken flavor/chicken fat and I don’t know if either would cause a reaction. Hills salmon is also available here but it also has chicken flavor :/. Costco in my area only carries the salmon one! Haven’t seen the lamb one yet

Growing up too we had my big dogs all on the Kirkland Lamb and they all lived to be like 14. I tried it with my dog though and even after a slow, easy transition it still gave him the shits, but it could be worth trying!

@sheron @sheron Costco lamb has both egg (if dog is poulty sensitive this can trigger) and also chicken fat in it, so don't get Costco lamb thinking it is chicken free.

@ctlguy Do you have a Pet Supplies Plus in your area? If so, my dog who also can't have chicken eats their Optim Plus brand. Specifically the sensitive skin and stomach salmon and oatmeal formula. It's similar to Purina Pro Plan but a bit cheaper.

@ctlguy I suspect my puppy has a chicken allergy (or at least is allergic to something in his chicken-based food). Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach does not contain chicken. Blue buffalo’s Blue Basics also has a few that don’t have chicken. Stella and Chewy is another that has a few without chicken (this is considered a “boutique brand” by many but my vet has looked it over and likes it so I personally feel comfortable with it).

@ctlguy The one I've had the best experience with is from a brand called "Taste of the Wild". Our dog is fed their "Ancient Stream" recipe. It is a salmon-based formula with grains and absolutely NO chicken products. They do also have a grain-free version called "Pacific Stream", so make sure to not accidentally grab that one. It's actually less expensive than the Purina Pro Plan and you can get it at Petco or you can order from Amazon. My dog also has an allergy to chicken, and it is frustrating that seemingly all formulas have some sort of chicken product in them even when they are not a chicken-based formula. This is the only dog food that we haven't had issues with him having diarrhea.

Back