Argh!!! Victor recall!!!!

Hello Y’all,

I’m a new puppy parent. Just here to rant a bit. I learnt that you transition your puppy food over a 10 day period so they can adjust to it. I have a Goldendoodle and the vets said they have especially sensitive stomachs. Now with the Victor recall, I’m out of luck with transitioning! Lol

I got Origin but my puppy doesn’t seem to like it. I wonder if it’s because it’s bothering him as his stool is loose. I had to pause that. I had some squash and sardines, so I feed him that.

The pet store said I can return the Origen if it doesn’t work out, so that’s helpful but it’s so weird to be out of food to feed my puppy! I’m going to go to Whole Foods nearby to get some small wet food cans I know he likes.

I wish all these pet food manufacturers had transition sizes kibble bags instead of the giant bags of food. I think this would help as one is trying to figure out which food their dog prefers without breaking the bank.

Thanks y’all. Just needed a place to rant.

Edit: Thanks y’all for the responses. I don’t feel alone anyone. Thanks so much. I’ll checkout out all the other brands that were recommended as well as look into DCM. Thanks so much!!!

@soldierofchrist321 Many brands have small bags. Be careful with orijen. My vet recommended against due to the insanely high protein ratio. The brand is also highly associated with DCM.

In terms of transitioning it does take awhile to properly transition but if you’re constantly changing food there’s going to be GI upset. Getting a probiotic could be helpful such as fortiflora or proviable to aid with transitioning.

@soldierofchrist321 We’re trying Purina Pro Plan Essentials starting tomorrow. One thing we’ve been doing for a while is feeding our pup 2 different kibbles plus freeze dried raw regularly. I did it originally because I was so confused by all the conflicting info on which brands do/don’t have the right mix of nutrients. I figured if she’s eating a variety they should balance each other out if any particular brand is missing something. Plus it provides her with some flavor variety. But with the Victor recall it’s provided an added benefit of being able to just switch her to 100% of her other kibble temporarily with no digestive impact while I search for a replacement.

@soldierofchrist321 Ha. Call it a cynical distrust of the entire dog food industry. It’s so frustratingly difficult. I have lost count of the number of hours of research I’ve spent on figuring out her food. Hard to sort out the marketing from the truth. I had pretty much settled on Purina Pro Plan, then when I was checking out the store clerk frowned and went on about how Purina has fillers and chemicals and that my vet is paid to recommend it. 🤦🏻‍♀️

@soldierofchrist321 It’s very frustrating. Victor was a very trusted brand to me. Not now :(
Not sure what to go to. Trying our 1 year old on the Blue bag with the wolf/husky face on as that seems to have good ingredients. Mid American Petfoods has really let everyone down with this salmonella problem. Lack of proper quality control by a brand that was not cheap to buy and had a great reputation.

@aliahmed I know! And yes, it wasn’t cheap! From what I’ve read on this thread, I’m going to research what DCM us as some foods cause that. Yesterday, my vet recommended hills, Purina pro and royal canin. I thought going the Victor, Origen, route would be healthier for my pup. But now that my pup seems sick from Origen, I have to research a whole bunch of other foods now. I spent so much time researching alternative kibbles and deciding on Origen…argh!!!

@soldierofchrist321 I am in the same boat. I have a goldendoodle who is turning 3 soon and it took the first year of his life to find a food that would result in solid stools. Victor beef and brown rice was the only one that worked.

I have spent the last several days researching different dog foods for hours. I had wanted to switch him from the Victor anyway to something a little more high-quality, but it sucks that it’s in a forced situation.

I tried open Farm beef and ancient grain and he loves it but he has thrown up after eating it. Not sure if it’s from the sudden switch or the food itself.

I think I might just go with Nutrisource, beef and rice since I can buy it locally and don’t have to order it online like open farm. Plus Nutrisource has a large breed formula because my doodle is over 70 pounds.

I have literally been scrutinizing Reddit threads and ingredient lists for hours and hours and it seems like for every positive review of a food there’s a negative one too.

I called my Vet and the only thing they really cautioned me against was Acana/Orijen because they said there were too many things in the food the dog doesn’t really need. I’m spiraling over all the choices.

@fastedandprayed I saw a few comments on other posts recommending diamond naturals, that’s what I ended up getting mine & put pumpkin purée (not the pie filling), in it and we’ve had no issues at all and it’s been 2 days. Still in disbelief a little bit

@soldierofchrist321 I’m in the same boat. My GSD was on Victor & has sensitive skin, gets super itchy. I saw good reviews on Diamond naturals & Purina pro sensitive skin & stomach. We’re going to try the Purina tomorrow, got a 4lb bag from chewy for $20. Fingers crossed it all works out

Back