7.5 months and protected me from an intruder 🥺

@bonnieb This is amazing and I’m sure you are very proud of your puppy. I only want to mention this because that age is when they can develop phobias. The only reason I know this is because a rescue we have was exposed to travel at that time and really developed a fear of several new things during that time. After a little research I understood Howell malleable they are at that age. I have no solutions, just information I wish his bad puppy mill parents had known.

@bonnieb 1) I agree with other comments - this is an adorable, rad, sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

2) As an animal behavioristand trainer, I do have a few things I wanna add. BUT I don't mean to be a bummer here or one of those animal people who instantly finds some issue with a perfectly lovely or admirable or cute experience you shared with your pet. So please keep in mind that me putting in my two cents from an animal behavior perspective here is not me discounting the fact that your pup did great. And you should feel proud, feel safe, feel loved. He did just what his instincts and evolution taught/bred him to do. Nothing wrong with that.

That said, I do want to emphasize that now is a good time to make sure he doesn't develop any negative associations with that event. I'm saying this ,particularly because of his age.

Your 7-month-old is right around the age that the Second Fear Impact Stage / Period occurs.

You very well may already know all about this. But if not, or if you want a refresher, here's a quick summary: The second fear impact period isn't something we can spot or test for as it's happening in our dogs. But we do know it's perfectly natural and occurs in all dogs during their late juvenile stage of development (aka silly but smart late childhood/preteens) and/or early adolescence (aka early, rambunctious, rebellious, yet insecure teen years).

This fear period takes place between 6 to 14 months of age. "Generally, this critical age occurs earlier for small dogs and later for larger ones."
Your guys a Corgi (LOVE THAT BREEDS! Too cute), so he's on the "little" end of this spectrum, placing him right there. But also a lil tuff guy!

"Dogs who experience stress or trauma at this age can experience larger, related behavioral problems or consequences later in life, so it’s important to be sensitive to training needs during this time." ( AKC)

"Even confident / well-socialized puppies go through a phase of being concerned about something that might seem silly to us. "

Same goes for an event like this one; one that, in the moment, was natural, heroic, and necessary-or even just felt so to him and you at the time. The problem is (sometimes) that during this stage, everything from normal yet strange and startling new events (think thunderstorms, or vaccum cleaners) to actually traumatizing ones (like a mean kid kicking your dog, or in this case a scary stranger coming to potentially hurt you) can leave a lasting, negative impact that alters the dogs behavior in a long term sense, if not nipped in the bud.

But don't fear. This can be prevented by you (and/or the help of a good trainer or behaviorist).

"Just because we know that the vacuum cleaner turning on, a plastic bag blowing in the wind, (or lightening, or all men) isn’t something dangerous, your puppy doesn’t have the same understanding of the world. Fear periods are a developmentally normal part of growing up for dogs and something for us to be thoughtful and intentional about preparing for."

So that's all I'm saying: be prepared for this stage and any new responses from him following this event. Keep a close eye on him for now. Give him lots of love. And treat for good behavior by all means! But don't form a connection between bad, scary, or threatening people or things happening to you/him and treats/praise.
It is especially important to take the lead for right now in body language and behavior, and don't encourage him to continue to feel the need to protect you against non-harmful people. Make sure he doesn't form any negative associations between that event and objects, sounds, smells, clothing, humans, etc., that were related to what happened. And encourage confidence in him by ensuring you're his confident human protector, as well!

I'm not saying he is traumatized. I'm just saying be extra attentive for a bit in terms of his development and make sure that the experience doesn't fix in his mind as a traumatic one he needs to be prepared for.

@cphill Thank you SO much for this! I was not aware of this potential, and I will continue to keep an eye on his behavior. He has been totally normal for the most part- but his sleeping habits did change after that night. He has not seemed to be able to find his comfortable spot again since, I’ve bought him some beds and really try to make my space nice for him. I’ll keep doing some research on this, but I appreciate the advice and direction!

@bonnieb Aw I'm so happy I could help! Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond. You sound like you're doing a fantastic job with your pup! He should be just fine. Sturdy lil brave breed 🥰

@bonnieb Our dog is only 25 ish lbs but she will bark at anyone coming up to our front porch. On one hand, wish I could quiet her down. On the other, I don't want to discourage her protective instincts.

@bonnieb That sounds terrifying! Your puppy did a great job of protecting you, but you should call the police to alert them of this guy. The next person may not have a dog to scare him off. Very glad you are ok!

@bonnieb Awwww what a good boy!! And yeah, I can imagine how terrifying that would be. I’d put a beware of dog sign in your window. If someone sees that, they’ll likely not even try. And consider a door cam/ring doorbell.

I grew up in the city, too, so I understand how scary it could be on your own. I’m so appreciative that I feel 100% safe in my home now because I have 3 dogs; large (rottie), medium (Shepherd mix), and small (schnauzer) lol someone would be absolutely insane to break into my house.