2 y.o. rant about grabby gus/doggie destructo

nelxoxox

So my pit/possibly boxer mix (rescue) is a little over 2. He does extremely well with a lot of things. Apparently, I've failed in the "you can't destroy everything you can get your mouth on" department though. He knows "leave it" and WILL leave it if you catch him before he grabs something. I just came out of my bedroom to find him with a hand towel from one of the bathrooms. Of course, it had a huge hole torn in it. This has been an ongoing battle with Grabby Gus. He will grab ANYTHING. A piece of paper, anything fabric, it doesn't even have to be anything you'd THINK would be appealing. My sheets have tears in them, I've thrown out more hand towels than I can count. He destroyed a $1000.00 phone. We've gotten really good at keeping everything out of reach but....He can walk by that bathroom with the door open and towels hanging 10 times a day and not give it a glance but #11? I feel like I still have to have eyes on him OR be entertaining him at all times. I adore this little dude but it's getting old. Short of keeping my doors shut for the rest of my life....ideas? There has to be a way to teach him instead of restricting his access for the rest of his life.....(keeping doors shut, etc.)

I'll fess up that he does not get enough exercise. Walking him on my curvy, hilly, country road is out of the question. There are a lot of places where you literally can't get off the road. He is also afraid of cars. I was taking him to the park a couple days a week last year but I had heart surgery 4 months ago and I'm not sure I can handle him on my own at the park yet. If he takes off, I can't stop him. I do play ball or fetch with him. He'll bring you a toy when he wants to play. We also have almost a half acre fenced for him. I spend a good bit of time out there with him. I'm considering a flirt pole. I'm trying to think of things (jobs) I can have him do. He yawns a LOT. He mostly doesn't sleep at all during the day and never did. I put him in for "enforced naps" but he never slept. He'd chill but not sleep. He turns in around 8 at night though....He just goes to bed.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm very rural and we've done puppy classes and some private classes. We don't have "behaviorists" around here so something I can implement on my own, please.

@nelxoxox A flirt pole is a great choice! For us, 15-20 mins playing with the flirt pole will tire him out more than an hours walk (we have a 6 month old german shepherd). Otherwise we implement a rule of if you're not in the room, close the door. Good luck with grabby gus!

@_troubled Yes, I didn't mind the keep the doors closed rule when he was younger. It's hard on the furnace and air conditioning as well since there's no air flow with all the doors closed. I'm going to try leaving them open a little at a time again but only when I'm not distracted and can catch him before the deed is done. At least he'll drop just about anything if you trade. I should never have started the trade thing, but when he has something dangerous or valuable in his mouth. It's nice to know you have a backup.