Will my life suit a cattle dog?

@rainbowdreamer The only suggestion I have is see if there’s a friend out there with a dog that gets along with yours and see if they’ll take care of it for you offer them something for watching him. I think that would be the only way I could ever leave my dog. They do have separation anxiety. My poor baby lays at my front door because there’s a window next to it for her to look out the whole time I’m gone Last time I went somewhere I decided to talk to her via of the camera and she was so cute she walked right up to the camera and stared at it

@rainbowdreamer The 2 big gambles are Velcro dog and whether they are good with some strangers (doesn’t have to be everyone just enough to cover the babysitting). Your work situation could get complicated with a ACD always a couple feet away from you.

My current red (1yo full velociraptor heeler rescue) is still questionable for anyone coming to the house that isn’t immediate family. Ok once we get intros out of the way but really couldn’t let someone in to even feed and poo the little demon without worry she’d decide to defend with much violence, barking and gnashing of teeth. The rest of what you got going on sounds spot for a heeler life.

@rainbowdreamer i think every acd is a little different when it comes to energy levels! however you have to be super careful as ACDs tend to be reactive towards people and other dogs and one of the possible pitfalls of adopting an older ACD is that you miss the critical socialization period in puppyhood. so while the activity may be there you might not be able to take him to the dog beach or leave him alone where strangers may approach him. something to consider!

@rainbowdreamer One thought I have about being athletic yourself and hoping that a cattle dog fits into that is... a lot of times it doesn't. I'm super active, but my rescued ACD can't do the vast majority of sports with me that I hoped she would.

I had hoped she would want to run alongside my bicycle, but she doesn't. She isn't a good running/jogging companion because she's so focused on sniffing every 3 second. She doesn't like to swim (she will wade). Wont chase a ball or frisbee. Loves hikes but gets hot really easily, so for many months on end per year it's a no-go. Isn't a good "gym dog" because she hates loud noises and won't relax. Can't be anywhere where a skateboard might show up or bicyclist might come near.

I think it's crucial to realize that an ACD's #1 thing is being with their people. Mine actually won't let any one walk her but me. She won't leave my side willingly, and if I leave her she doesn't want to go away from the last place she saw me (and won't be led away from that spot, aka home, by anyone trying to take her on a walk). When I travel, she definitely misses me (and I miss her!).

Another thing is, they aren't happy go lucky when it comes to dealing with anything outside of the household. More like worry warts... this means that adventures with them are very possible, but also can be stressful. But at home the loving nature and goofball nature is so sweet and funny.

I love love my cattle dog more than anything, but leaving her behind when traveling kills me and taking her with me can be stressful unless the situation is very controllable and flexible.

Back