Whining in crate but not when alone in closed room

savedgirl

Two months ago, I adopted an adult 4-year-old dog. Every night after her last walk before bed, I put her in her crate and she'll spend at least 30-60 minutes whining non-stop. After that, she's quiet for the rest of the night.

It doesn't seem to be due to separation anxiety because she doesn't make any noise when she's in a closed room alone but as soon as she's put in the crate, the whining begins. During the day, she'll sometimes go into her crate on her own to nap but I only ever see her doing that if I'm spending time in the same room. The only time I crate her is overnight.

Additional info: Crate size 36" L x 23" W x 25" H and she's medium 48 lbs.

It really pains me to hear her whining every night and I've considered not crating her but I don't want her to get used to it in case I need to crate her in some circumstances. What could be causing this? Should I just ignore it and hope it goes away over time? Should I buy a larger crate?

@savedgirl The crate should be just big enough for her to turn around comfortably. Having a soft pad or towel in there and a favorite toy makes it better too (as long as she doesn't destroy them). Have her spend more time in the CLOSED crate around you, such as putting her in there for meals or try to get her to fall asleep in there while you watch a movie or something. Just ignore her completely and project calm energy. Been there, definitely fixable.

Back