When did your ACD stop growing?

dougr

Hi everyone first time posting on Reddit and it wouldn’t allow me to add pictures to the post. I am the proud dog dad to a 9 month old fur covered land shark by the name of Floki. As of his last vet visit he is 23” tall and 56lbs he’s not overweight still has a nice waist line. I was wondering if he would get any bigger and I wanted to see how his size compares to other ACD’s. I will post photos of him later once I figure out how.

@dougr Our pup got to 83 pounds at 18 months before he looked even a little bit pudgy. He is 3 now and seems to have leveled out at 72lbs and 23”. I keep thinking back to the 35-50lb breed description and wondering what happened to our guy.

@dougr Unaltered until 3 years. My boy stopped height at around 10months (21.5inches tall) but being unaltered until maturity he gained mass, he's much thicker than he was at 2! He's 7 now. From 2-3yrs he widened, his chest deepened and he came into himself structure wise.

@dougr Probably around 2 years old. He was so lanky and smaller/skinnier till he was like 1.5 years old. Then he filled out more, got a bit stockier

@dougr Skeletal growth is usually complete by 1 y.o. if not a little before, then they continue to fill out their frames for about another year (chest deepens, more prominent muscling at shoulder and thigh etc.). As a broad rule of thumb, doubling a dog's 4-month weight generally gives a pretty good rough estimate of its mature lean weight, unless it's toy-size or giant-size.

If the 23" measurement was taken at the withers/shoulder blades, then he's very tall for an ACD, assuming he's purebred. Standard range is 17" - 20."

@dougr Both of mine rushed growing right about 16 months ish. My red girl us fall and long and weighs 58 pounds (could stand to lose a couple pounds tbh, but she is very muscular) my blue boy Syd is more compact, can feel every rib and weighs about 47 pounds.

@dougr Most of my boy's growth was done around 9 mos. Over the next 6 mos he gained a lot of muscle mass and his face filled out.

At 4.5yrs old he is ~17.5" at the withers and 45-50lbs. He doesn't look to weigh that much, but he is a dense little meat missile.

@dougr I have a big blue boy. He has topped out at 65 pounds of solid muscle. They typically grow bones first and then fill out with muscle. Mine grew and filled out until he was 2 years old, so sounds like you have a ways to go on the growing front. If he is tucked with a good waist and feel ribs, but not see them, you are spot on with him.